Just bought 02 islandia..

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought an 02 islandia. I’m currently on the lake. I am only getting about 15mph @ 5500 rpm. Guy I got it from has receipts from the shop for a couple months ago. Serviced. Plugs. Thermostat. And a few others I don’t remember off hand. Motor sounds fine. Smoked a bit for the first 30 mins. Now looks fine. But still no power. New to owning boats so I don’t know where to begin. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Get under the boat and look for something clogging the pump. Ski rope, weeds, small sticks, large sticks, rocks, plastic bags. You will also need to check looking into the nozzle. A bag can kill performance as you describe.

Get under the boat and look for something clogging the pump. Ski rope, weeds, small sticks, large sticks, rocks, plastic bags. You will also need to check looking into the nozzle. A bag can kill performance as you describe.

not is smoking again. Worse at high rpm. I topped of the tank this morning. About half a tank ish and added mixture 50/1. Don’t know why it would be smoking either. Also think bottom plugs could be going bad. Getting a bit of water and having to pump it out.

So from what I can tell everything looks clean. Without tearing into it anything I can try or anybody can think of? If not I’ll start the process. Might as well change all the oils while I’m in there.
FFC3155A-CDBC-4527-9906-634474444BD1.jpeg

Attachments

• 041168AB-BB28-44E4-954E-D1C76A674EA7.jpeg
    041168AB-BB28-44E4-954E-D1C76A674EA7.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 40
  • 1545A113-7517-4A7C-BB49-861D132C6F9E.jpeg
    1545A113-7517-4A7C-BB49-861D132C6F9E.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 35
Ok. Got to tearing it apart today. Gate all good. Nozzle off all good. Pulled stator.. well I’m assuming low oil as nothing cane out when I pulled it. Then proceeded to drain it out.. yeah.. thick, green, and milky. Yay. Bad seal. Next checked the impeller and wear ring. No noticeable damage. Small wear on the ring. Expected. No gouges scrapes or anything thou. Impeller looked good too. Not really any damage around the edges. Drive shaft spils fine as well. So next step? Just throw some new seals and oil in and try it out? Or is the stator damaged? How do I tell?

Look at the vanes, down into stator. As if looking into shaft hole.

Your intake grate-- those tines supported on onle one end are known to fatigue and break off. They are then sucked into the pump, damaging blades and vanes. I suggest you get a "rock grate" that is cast aluminum, but tines are supported on both ends.

Last edited:
Vanes look good. Impeller is good. I still have it all torn apart and fired it up to check the drive shaft. There is a faint grind or knock by the bearing. Not sure how to tell if it is bad. Also have another question. When on the hose and idling. Where should there be water coming out of? Should any be coming from around the top of the jet housing? I can’t really get a camera up there to see exactly where it is coming from.

Do I understand that you started the engine without the stator in place?????

BIG mistake. You may have damaged the gears and created wear in the wear ring.

Have you checked the gear oil? Any glitter or chunks? You will need to pull the engine and rebuild the gear box.

The water is coming from the 5 holes in the wear ring. Coming out of the TOP of the pump? If your wear ring and stator is not bolted up tight, it could be coming out of the face seal o-ring that passes water from wear ring holes to the pump intake passages to the engine.

The shaft seal in the stator is easy to replace at this point. The bearings (bushings) are a little more difficult.

Everything was taken off. No wear ring no impeller just the shaft to check the gears. I have not checked the gear oil yet. And I’d have to pull the motor to rebuild the gear box? Ugh. Lol. Water seemed to be running down from up above the housing. By where it bolts to the motor. Not sure where it could be coming from or if it should be coming from anywhere up there?

Also ran a compression test to just rule that out even thou it ran fine and looked good prior. Getting roughly 120psi every hole. So motor is good. At least that I can see.

Are you getting any beeps when running?
I see you put in premix? Is the oil system working or has it been removed?

No beeps. And the oil system was removed. I just don’t see any reason in the jet drive that I would be losing all performance. Only thing I haven’t checked is the gear box oil which I will be checking today.

very easy to drain the gear oil and replace it with fresh oil. Outside plug is vent, plug at the middle of the gear box is drain. If I recall correctly it takes 28oz of oil to fill it.

It sure does sound like something is restricting the drive system but seems odd that it is putting off so much smoke. With oil system removed it eliminates that something is putting the motor into limp mode and dumping lots of oil in it unless there is something electrical that still thinks the oil system is in place and it is putting it in limp mode.

I have the 250 optimax, when mine went into limp mode it would rev about 5000, screen of smoke behind me and not go up on plane. My issue was oil tank level sensor was bad so it thought there was low or no oil so new tank with new sensor solved the problem.

At same time I also replaced Fuel filter and drained VST, checked both oil and fuel pressure, compression among other things.

Fuel pressure should be 36psi on the 240 I believe.

Tim and others know the 240 much better

Well drained the gearbox oil. Looks like brand new oil to me. So I believe I have eliminated the drive system. And at least the motor. So possibly limp mode? On to the fuel system I guess. Lol. I feel like a dog chasing his tail. It doesn’t help I have two bad seals I have to wait til next week to get.

Also another question. Does the mercury vessel monitor work with the 02 islandia? I tried finding the motor serial number on the website but it didn’t really give options for the OE models.

I have been told it will work with 240 efi if it has the plug on it. It is on the battery side of the motor near the starter.

Most of the 2nd gen 240s have it but I would call the number for mercury vessel view and verify it. The guy that runs the department is super helpful. If you have the gray terminator cap you will need to order the yellow cap to make it work.Screenshot_20200602-181150_Google~2.jpgScreenshot_20200602-181204_Google~2.jpg

I have been told it will work with 240 efi if it has the plug on it. It is on the battery side of the motor near the starter.

Most of the 2nd gen 240s have it but I would call the number for mercury vessel view and verify it. The guy that runs the department is super helpful. If you have the gray terminator cap you will need to order the yellow cap to make it work.View attachment 48457View attachment 48458

Lets worry about Vessel View after we get you moving.

There is a large o-ring on the front side of the wear ring. If that is damaged or missing, you could be sucking air, not water. No thrust, high rpm. A tiny leak can cause problems. A little bit of silicone seal on the o-ring as you reassemble. LITTLE bit!. Also on the o-ring for the water passage.

Smoking- If you are running pre-mix with no oil pump, (Have you checked that it is actually gone?) you may need injector service. They may be leaking, stuck closed, poor spray pattern. Forget about liquid miracle fuel injector cleaners. They don't work and can damage your engine by thinning out the tiny amount of oil that you have. Remove the injectors and have them serviced. The service center will clean them, flow bench, calibrate, disassemble if needed, flow bench again. About $25 each. Well worth it.

There is no tank for the oil but I have not checked to see if there is a pump still. I’ll have to check. And I ordered all new seals for when I reassemble. Should be in next week. Idk what this thing has been thru or maintenance. So I figured I’d do all the seals since the one on the stator was bad. As far as injectors go yeah I’ll probably pop them out and go have them serviced. Didn’t think of that.

Most of the 2nd gen 240s have it but I would call the number for mercury vessel view and verify it. The guy that runs the department is super helpful. If you have the gray terminator cap you will need to order the yellow cap to make it work.View attachment 48457View attachment 48458

Lets worry about Vessel View after we get you moving.

There is a large o-ring on the front side of the wear ring. If that is damaged or missing, you could be sucking air, not water. No thrust, high rpm. A tiny leak can cause problems. A little bit of silicone seal on the o-ring as you reassemble. LITTLE bit!. Also on the o-ring for the water passage.

Smoking- If you are running pre-mix with no oil pump, (Have you checked that it is actually gone?) you may need injector service. They may be leaking, stuck closed, poor spray pattern. Forget about liquid miracle fuel injector cleaners. They don't work and can damage your engine by thinning out the tiny amount of oil that you have. Remove the injectors and have them serviced. The service center will clean them, flow bench, calibrate, disassemble if needed, flow bench again. About $25 each. Well worth it.
Where would the oil pump be located? From what I can tell I don’t see anything. And tanks and reservoir are gone.

The oil pump is normally between the block and the inboard side of the vst. It is not very big. It would have a linkage to the lower throttle link.

Have you checked all the small bleed hoses on the block? Be careful of the hose barbs- kind of delicate. I used weedeater fuel line instead of the crappy Merc hose.
Have you been able to check the fuel pressure? My regulator was messed up and my injectors were seeing 85psi instead of 36. Smoked a bit.

I have not checked fuel pressure yet. Don’t have a gauge. Once I get the drive all back together I got a buddy I can take it to to check fuel pressure and do injectors.

Ok so a week later... got the drive all put back together. Changed gear box oil. Looked clean when I drained it. Changed stator oil. Was a little milky like I said before. So changed seal in stator. Changed wear ring seal. And the little oring for the little water tube thing. Got it all cleaned up and back together...

so. Took her out on the water friday. Planes out great.Just myself and my son. Got about 35mph. Not to fast but seemed ok considering age and normal wear of parts. Ran for about 2 hours no issues.
Then today. Took the family out. 2 adults 4 kids. Topped out about 30. Still not horrible. People plus gear. Ran for about an hour pulling the kids in tubes. Then one kid bounced out and throttled down. Whipped it around and boom! Very bad vibration. Limped it back to the dock and pulled her out. Everything looks clear to me. So question. Drive shaft bearing? I haven’t tore into it yet to check anything. But what else could it be?

Was there an actual BOOM? I would be looking for damage to the crankcase/block.

Vibration- look up into pump intake. Did you suck up something? Like a tow rope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back