Jet Pump thrust bearing exploded, what now?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

hexec

At the end of another amazing time on the lake my 97XP800 began to behave very poorly. The motor rev'd and responded nicely but the ski didn't hook up. Once I got the ski up to speed it did hook and was better for a while until you slow down. It seemed like the impeller was not spinning with the drive shaft. I knew that was not possible.

I found the jet pump cone was cracked along the rim and it lost all of the oil and burned the thrust bearing. It had totally exploded and damaged the pusher. The impeller was slopping around about 1/4" back and forth on the shaft. I figure this was causing the severe cavitation I experienced on the lake. I want to replace the 2 inner bearings, thrust bearing and washer, pusher, spring, and cone. I'm sort of a noob, not sure what to expect with this sort of job, comments or suggestions.

I've been told that the pump might be toast. Without taking it apart and seeing for myself, I find it hard to believe that a bearing failure caused so much damage.

For now, I purchased a rebuilt pump but I'd like to repair this one and keep it as a spare. Should I bother?

You will spend more on parts to rebuild it than what it would cost to buy a complete used pump Look around on ebay, you can find complete pumps with everything you need ready to bolt on for like $200.

I just saw you have bought a used pump. That is the way to go. Maybe tear that one down and learn how to work on it since you have it.

I just saw you have bought a used pump. That is the way to go. Maybe tear that one down and learn how to work on it since you have it.
When I asked a small local repair shop to fix my pump he told me it would cost $250 + taxes, if it could be repaired at all. He said that the shaft could get welded to the impeller when water gets in to the cone. So I began looking for other options and found the rebuilt pump for $225 cash. Seemed like a no-brainer. I then purchased an impeller removal tool on ebay for $14 shipped to Canada. I'm either going to break my tools or this impeller is coming off. Any tips if I run into difficulty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back