Is this the ski for me?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

tomespo

So I have never owned a ski before so this will be my first. Will be put down the NJ Shore near my beach house and will be in salt water not a calm lake. I would be getting the 3up HO version. Not looking to have the fastest ski on the water (50 mph is fast enough to have some fun) but also not looking to buy something real real cheap that just won't hold up over time.

Tomespo, you're in the same boat as me, this will be my first as well. I kinda laid out my thinking when I started the thread http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?69185-So-what-do-You-plan-on-doing-to-your-new-SparkSo, what do You plan on doing to your new Spark? I was looking for something that had 2 main points, in no particular order 1-cheap/affordable and 2-Fun. I covered my thoughts pretty well in the first post, but for the most part, this one fits the bill for me. The only unknown at this point is longevity, though I have heard that they have been testing this design for 7 years. The jury is still out, but I haven't heard of catastrophic failures yet, and it's been out for about 5-6 months. I decided that it is really the only one out there that fits the bill for me, as I wouldn't pay 12-15k for one, and i want something reminiscent of the early models, fast, fun, tossable. I don't need to go 90mph, and I understand that with the plastic hull it won't cut thru the water like a glass hull, but that's fine with me, because it _is_ only 400 lbs, and the laws of physics do come into play here. Obviously there are a Lot of people thinking like me, because you're going to be hard pressed to find one in the near future, at least till late in the fall after the season is over. Best of luck on your decision, do a bit of reading around here, it may help you make up your mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the money and what you get out of the Spark, it is very hard to pass up. Very strong engine for the weight of the ski. This allows for pretty good performance considering the cost of the ski. Being a first ski you MAY find it a bit of a challenge to balance it one you get two or more people on it. That is a learning curve of smaller and narrower skis. It is still too new to tell you about any real concerns, that said, there really have been only a few considering how many have been bought.

It's by far the best bang for the buck of any new ski from any manufacturer out there. I think the mechanical reliability it there, that being said I'm more than a little skeptical about a thermoplastic hull. But like may others I'm slow to change. Time will tell how tough and reliable the hull will be. It also has a lot of other plastic parts that seem to be flimsy, but in fairness I have only seen them, never ridden a Spark.

Lou

I live on a lake and now been an spark owner for 6 days. Ocean stuff should not be an issue just remember to be religious about flushing. Not sure if they have the cheaper flush kit here or not. I know you can get it elsewhere. Or get the dealer to put that on as a freebie.

The ski is fun (read as squirly) and very tippy with two people on it. My rumbustious friend dumped him and his sister in law while ridding my ski. He was going slow and playing with his own wake. So if you ride with an other person, keep them tight to you. Otherwise get in a lake first to get a good feel for the boat and then transition to the ocean. If you have calm water on the ocean, why not and go out.

Personally I like the ski and rides way different than my RXT. Go buy one!

Ive had about 3 dealers tell me to NOT buy a spark. I sat on one today seemed decent but the seat definitely doesn't seem as comfortable as a full size ski. I wish i could ride on before making my final decision. I just want something I can have fun on over the weekend down the shore. Im not wasting my time with a mid performance machine. If the spark is a no go I'm going straight for the RXPX

Ive had about 3 dealers tell me to NOT buy a spark. I sat on one today seemed decent but the seat definitely doesn't seem as comfortable as a full size ski. I wish i could ride on before making my final decision. I just want something I can have fun on over the weekend down the shore. Im not wasting my time with a mid performance machine. If the spark is a no go I'm going straight for the RXPX

What is the reason they are saying not to?

Lou, you beat me to it, my thoughts exactly. "Loss leader", but unfortunately there's no product available to lead with. It would be way too harsh to go down the path of bait and switch, but I still have a hard time believing that they didn't see this demand coming. I saw it a mile away, almost 5 months ago. Toss in that there is minimal profit in each unit... Dunno, can't see how they missed the boat so to speak. As for the dealers comment, that kinda sounds like it's out of the same playbook as those 2 'comparison' videos from Yamaha. Does this dealer sell those as well? :reddevil:

Get it! I ride with my son in a mix of fresh water and salt. If you're looking to go fast in a straight line forget it. But if you're looking to go out hit a few waves, take some tight turns this is the ski. I've never ridden an XP or waveblaster. But those guys seem to love it. Went out the other day for 3 hours and the seat was plenty comfortable. I have the 90 hp 3up. But if you just want the 2up go with the 60 hp and then tune it to 109hp.

Jay

I own an RXT and the Spark. Both are fun and the application is slightly different. Personally, if you are playing in the surf I would think a lighter ski would be to your advantage. Seriously I mean it. It's just basic physics. You need to be able to react faster to the waves and a lighter ski will do that. Light is always good.

I would also agree with LouDoo it's about profit.

Back