Is it worth side gapping spark plugs in 95 HX?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadoodle

I'm just curious if there is any benefit to side gapping BR8ES spark plugs in a Rotax 717. Supposedly, they do this in racing because it allows for a more complete burn of the air-fuel mixture since the ground electrode isn't covering the spark.

I'm just curious if there is any benefit to side gapping BR8ES spark plugs in a Rotax 717. Supposedly, they do this in racing because it allows for a more complete burn of the air-fuel mixture since the ground electrode isn't covering the spark.
If you are not racing, and trying to squeeze every rpm out of it, I agree, just ride and enjoy.

I don't think you'll notice a difference but yes some do take this approach. I don't see a need.

The theory as I understand is the spark more easily jumps from the corners of the electrodes as opposed to between flat surfaces.

I think if the plug is fouling too quickly, something about the tune, fuel quality or oil type is causing it and depending on circumstances might be damaging your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back