Intermittent Alarm

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ausjulie

We have just purchased a 2003 Seadoo Challenger last week. We took it out for the first time last weekend and noticed an alarm going off intermittently. We thought it was the depth finder. The boat ran great. the next day no alarm then the next day when we were flushing the engine in our drive way the alarm went off again. we spoke to a marine mechanic and he said it would be low engine oil warning, we have topped up the oil. and the alarm still sounds. not really sure what the alarm is or what we should do?

What engine does the boat have, and what does the alarm sound like? We need a lot more information than you left us with.

Aaron:cheers:

Sorry, new to the forum as you can probably tell..
Its a 240HP EFI Mercrusier V6 M2. Its an intermittent audible alarm that sounds for approximately 5 - 8 seconds and clears without any real consistency on return. It sounded when we first placed the boat in the water and shut the motor down immediately. On restart everything was fine....we skied behind the boat and didnt have an alarm until later that day. Boat was on the water for 3 days and alarm came and went without any reason...sometimes towing skier and other times when we were cruising. No impact on boat performance was noticed either.
Didnt run the boat over 5000 RPM to be safe.
We eliminated the depth sounder and the air lock in the oil resevoir....we received feedback they might contribute to the alarm. From what we have searched it is pointing to an over temp issue....either wiring, sensor or actual temp. Given the fact we ran the boat for 3 days and didnt cook the engine might be more a sensor issue.
Appreciate the feedback

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is a solid tone, that is an overheat alarm and you may have a bad cylinder head temperature sensor. I suspect a bad sensor, rather than an overheat problem because you mention it did it right after you put it in the water, and it should not be able to overheat that quick. Do make sure that you are getting a good flow of water out of the tell tail when running though, and flush the engine on the hose for good measure. You have one in each head, and if you unplug one at a time when it is acting up you should be able to identify which one is giving you the problem and replace it. Do not just leave it unplugged, that tends to be dangerous and can make the engine run very rich.

If it is a series of three beeps it means the oil level is low in the engine mounted tank. If the tank is full either you have a bad connection, or a bad sensor. To check it unplug the two blue connectors going to it and check for continuity with a multimeter. When full you should have "NO" continuity, and when low continuity.

Aaron:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading this post.... I too have an alarm that is solid and will only turn off using the alarm button on the dash. I have a 2000 Challener 210hp mercury.
Oil was full in both tanks (oil alarm is series of 3 beeps correct). The first time it happened to me was while driving through a wake. I was NOT driving fast at all. Second time just while cruising. THEN when my hubby went to pull up to dock he bumped the nose ever so gently into the dock and it went off again.
This may be off topic but if you take the engine oil tank lid off. What is the best way to put it back on without twisting the wires?

If you turned the alarm off by pushing a button on the dash... what button was it? That's where the problem is. All the boats have a low voltage alarm. (so that's probably the button he pushed) But some also have a low fuel button. None of them have an oil, or over-temp alarm button.

As far as not twisting the wires on the oil tank. The lid only goes on with 3 or 4 revolutions... so twisting the wires shouldn't be an issue. Before you put the lid on... roll it backward a few turns... then when it gets tight... the wires won't have a twist.

I'd love to have an owners manual so I could know what buttons are for. But on my dash there are 2 rows of buttons. The one I have to toggle to turn the alarm off is on the bottom right. It has an orange center. Maybe to illuminate but it's so sunny I couldn't tell if it was lit up or not. Would you like me to take a picture?

The owners manuals are free. Just go to SeaDoo's website... and at the top, you will see "Owners corner" or something like that. Click on it... and one of the options will be owners/operators manuals. It will tell you what the switches are.

If yours are faded... I sell some icons to put on the old switches. They aren't perfect... but they are cheap, and they work. (about $6.50 shipped)

132.jpg

Here's a pic of mine. It's the bottom right one that is the Alarm. So any ideas?
AND Controlled Steering System. Is that when you turn sharp the engine gets a little more throttle? I don't think mine does this? Could have previous owner disabled it?

Attachments

• photo_2a.JPG
    photo_2a.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 24
The steering assist... who knows. Could be way out of adjustment... the cable could have broke... or it was disconnected. (I took mine off)

Just check the cable at the steering rack, and at the engine.

As far as the switch... down load your manual. It will tell you what that switch is.

button

Here's a pic of mine. It's the bottom right one that is the Alarm. So any ideas?
AND Controlled Steering System. Is that when you turn sharp the engine gets a little more throttle? I don't think mine does this? Could have previous owner disabled it?

That button is the low fuel alarm. The way it is supposed to work is: When the fuel tank gets low the light comes on and you get the intermittent beep. Once you press the switch to stop the alarm, it won't come on again until the ignition switch is turned off and then back on. Does the fuel gauge give a good reading of your tank level? If so, and you have plenty of fuel, yet still getting the alarm, you could have a bad reed switch in the fuel baffle.

Thank you for replying.. Fuel gauge does not operate. On my to do lost of things to get fixed this winter. The alarm is not intermittent. It stays on until I toggle it off.
It has gone off with there being over half a tank of gas. And this evening it went off as soon as my hubby turned the key on to start it. Fuel and oil were almost full.
I'm thinking it might be faulty sensor but what he heck one?

Try unplugging the connection to your fuel baffle. It's a three wire connector in the engine compartment behind the back seats. Follow the wires coming out of the baffle on the gas tank.

Thanks, I will try that. Weather here is not great right now. Hopefully it will warm up soon and not rain.
I also need to fix the fuel level gauge sending unit. Any suggestions on where to purchase?

What I am calling the baffle is the fuel sender. Before buying anything, pull it out of the tank and carefully pop the cap off of the bottom. The magnet may be out of the float. If that is the case it's an easy fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back