Intake grate repair

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Now Bro

Has anyone tried to repair a damaged intake grate? 2005 sportster 155. I sucked up my rope and it broke both arms of grate at rear. It is still bolted in front, but 2 rear pieces are off kilter.

It appears a new one is a smidge over $90 (if you can find one), but if you search eBay for the part number (271001459), there are several for half the price.

grate.jpg

I hear it is difficult to remove the grate because the bolt is under the engine, so I was hoping someone had success with JB weld. The front part is firmly attached with the bolt, it's just detached on the rear

I hear it is difficult to remove the grate because the bolt is under the engine, so I was hoping someone had success with JB weld. The front part is firmly attached with the bolt, it's just detached on the rear

Seriously, just fix it the right way. If you can't do it because it's too difficult, then it sounds like you're going to have to pay someone else to do it. I wouldn't trust JB Weld to hold my intake grate together.

I agree best to fix it now. It may cost a little now but I bet it's cheaper now then after your intake grate peice fails and gets sucked in the impeller and who knows what damage that would do!!

Well at least I got one of my questions answered. I can't get the fwd bolt out. Was wondering how that puppy was anchored. Now I know.....:eek::ack:

You might want to consider taking a dremel tool and cutting off the two grate bars entirely, this is aluminum and fairly easy to cut. At least you would not have the two bars moving with vibration and potentially breaking off and getting sucked in. You now run the risk of ingesting something large but in my opinion the gap between the grates is already fairly large.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back