insurance required by law in ontario?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

neely61

i have a 97 gsx, i am covered for liability through my house. The seadoo is mint condition however book value wouldn't get me much if it was burned or stolen, so i'm thinking about cancelling my policy.

is it REQUIRED by law in ontario to have it.

i have my pleasure card so no issue there.

Ontario Insurance

I also belive you do and recentlygot the best $ from Premier Insurance out of London. You need to go through a broker to get it though. I think I am paying aroung $450 for my 96gtx

i have a 97 gsx, i am covered for liability through my house. The seadoo is mint condition however book value wouldn't get me much if it was burned or stolen, so i'm thinking about cancelling my policy.

is it REQUIRED by law in ontario to have it.

i have my pleasure card so no issue there.

As far as I know you dont have to have insurance! Just did the insurance thing. I was more worried about theft. Payed extra for tube pulling..If you had a fishing boat you might not worry about it.

As far as I know you dont have to have insurance! Just did the insurance thing. I was more worried about theft. Payed extra for tube pulling..If you had a fishing boat you might not worry about it.

YOU NEED INSURANCE, mine $300 a year for my 2004 sportster, If you break you seadoo like hit a rock or any damage that mother nauture can cause will most likely be covered....... well worth the 300 bucks......

i'm confused...

still not clear on whether the LAW requires it, like if a police boat pulls me over am I fined for NOT having it?

i currently have it and were weighing my options

Guys/gals, in Ontario, as everywhere in Canada I believe, you DO NOT need insurance for a boat. Give your nearest broker a call if you don't believe me. That said, liability insurance is always a good idea.

YOU DO NOT need ins. in ontario it is not mandatory for any watercraft but think what might happen if you hit another boat or worse run over someone and kill them.:(

Boat Insurance not yet mandatory in Ontario

I confirmed this with my broker since my insurance is up for renewal, and currently in Ontario, Canada, there is no law that requires you to have insurance on your boat, HOWEVER, :ack:as the previous poster noted, you will be liable if you cause bodily or property damage to a third party, including someone riding with you in your boat, (they could sue you), and of course, the damage or loss of your vessel.

The 2 main reasons to have boat insurance are for liability, and loss. (Such as damage or theft, similar to collision and comprehensive on a car). But, unlike a car, you will not be asked for proof of insurance if you get pulled over in the water. They will want to see your boaters card, safety gear, check you are not over capacity, and that the vessel is in seaworthy shape, along with looking for any signs of alcohol:cheers: consumption by the skipper.

Back