Inherited seadoo that wasnt running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polopro

I got a seadoo from my father inlaw when he passed. It just made a clunk when I tried to start it. I have never worked on engines or owned a seadoo. So I took manifold off, took out starter, cleaned all connections, got water out of engin, put oil in sparkplug holes, ex. I finaly got it to fire up but it seems rough. Is there something I can use or put it the holes to clean it up. Out should I start it up turn flush hose On and let it run for awhile to burn off what ever is in there. Please help me my knowlege is limited to none. My bugget is supper tight so I would like to avoid costly repairs and taking it apart since I have I 2 year old that grabs everything.

There are a few things that need to be done. First to get a general idea of the condition of the engine do a compression test. Does the ski have grey tempo fuel lines? The oil injection needs servicing. Change the pump oil.

First do a compression test and post back, remove spark plugs, put leads on grounding posts, check compression with throttle open and a cold engine.

What manifold did you take off?

Lou

Can I do a compression test with my fingers? Yes on grey lines. Where is oil injection? Just trying to avoid spending to much money, really tight with cash right now

if the starter just clunks, and you can't hear the motor move at all, it could be frozen up, or the pump could be frozen up. you can get a compression tester from any auto parts store for around 30 bucks, but first, pull the plugs and see if it will crank over.

if not, you could pull the jet pump and try again to see if the pump being locked up was keeping the motor from turning. if the motor is locked up you'll probably need to replace the whole thing. check the pump oil to see what the oil looks like. most likely it is black and stinky if its not contaminated with water. if its just stinky, you can replace the fluid, if its water contaminated, it likely has contributed to the demise of your jet pump bearings, and the pump might be rusted/locked up.

start with trying to crank with the plugs out first, also take a look down the plug holes and tell us what you see.

I'm new to seadoo's as well but doing some searching on this site has provided me TONS of useful info. I've learned so much from previous posts. Google is your friend too. :-)

No you cannot do a compression test with your fingers. You'll need to go to an auto parts store and get a gauge- maybe borrow one for now if cash is tight if they let you. You take out a spark plug and screw the gauge in. There are some YouTube videos that show examples.

Grey lines- DEFINITELY spend the cash to replace those. $50 bucks now will be much better than a few hundred later if you dont.

I suggest downloading a shop repair manual for schematics and location of parts. This will help you get to know your ski better. I didnt know the first thing about them when I got mine a few months ago. I've learned alot from this site and manuals.

Its milky colored, got it all out. No rust, fires up first time now but runs rough sould it let it run for 20 with flush going. Oil is good no smell or color in tank or lines just cylinder but used shop vac while cranking. Do I need seadoo specific lines or can I go to the auto store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok update it's running seemingly well but it's starting to over heat with flush hose running
How long were you running it? You shouldn't run it on the hose for more than a few minutes because you will burn up the carbon seal from no water cooling it.

I took off the exhaust manifold so I could get to starter. When I did this I saw black and milky colored fluid. So I took th shop vac and sealed it to it and started sucking the crap out. I just read that you need to use a hose clamp when flushing. I think that's why it overheated on me. I had no idea to clamp the the hose leading out after the quick connect T. I was running with water just didn't know to clamp hose. I shut it down when it beeped.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took off the exhaust manifold so I could get to starter. When I did this I saw black and milky colored fluid. So I took th shop vac and sealed it to it and started sucking the crap out. I just read that you need to use a hose clamp when flushing. I think that's why it overheated on me. I had no idea to clamp the the hose leading out after the quick connect T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back