info on the yellow 587 engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifter87

hi guys, we are currently in the rebuild of a gts 1995 we think. it had the white engine in and it blew majorly apparently before i bought the ski as repairs. it came with a yellow engine the previous owner had bought to replace the white one. a few questions just regarding the engine. one of the pictures shows 2 black cable inlets (i have also pictured the cable which we think looms here) what are the cables for ? also regarding lining the magneto up, is it guess work or can someone give us some info on the best way to do it, many thanks

20160225_162147_resized.jpg20160225_162134_resized.jpg20160225_161505_resized.jpg20160225_161457_resized.jpg

What you are dealing with there is a white motor stator on a yellow engine. You have to have the correct flywheel to go with that stator as well as the grey box and MPEM.

The five wire 657 stuff will actually work with the old yellow motor flywheel and stator, it's basically the same stator and CDI box , the connectors are just different since on a 650 the CDI is inside the grey box.

Just my opinion here guys but others can chime in.

I would not install that yellow 587 engine in a 3 seater gts unless your goal is to cruise and drive gentle. It is underpowered and the white electronics will not match that yellow engine. If i remember correctly the white 587 mpem and the yellow are totally different. I once installed a yellow engine in place of a white 587. It ended up burning a hole in the piston quickly. Stupid enough i rebuilt it with parts i had around, changed out the electronics and never had an issue again. This was several years ago so i could be mistaken on the electronics.

On another note those 587 engines are very fuel and oil efficient!

This time of year you should be able to pick up a non running ski for fairly cheap.

Just my opinion here guys but others can chime in.

I would not install that yellow 587 engine in a 3 seater gts unless your goal is to cruise and drive gentle. It is underpowered and the white electronics will not match that yellow engine. If i remember correctly the white 587 mpem and the yellow are totally different. I once installed a yellow engine in place of a white 587. It ended up burning a hole in the piston quickly. Stupid enough i rebuilt it with parts i had around, changed out the electronics and never had an issue again. This was several years ago so i could be mistaken on the electronics.

On another note those 587 engines are very fuel and oil efficient!

This time of year you should be able to pick up a non running ski for fairly cheap.

I will respond to this one , 587 engine is a 587 engine, the 88-90 model was a little lower HP than the later years due to a rotary valve change, in 91 they installed the 147 degree rotary valve and SBN carbs which upped the HP, the differences between the yellow engine and white engine are as follows yellow engine prior to 91 have BN carbs which are junk, all yellow engines have dual coil stators and separate CDI boxes and rev limiters, they run water through a portion of the crankcases,the exhaust manifolds are different, the pistons and crankshafts , heads and cylinder liners in these two engines are the same after 91 the HP of the engines is the same, there are slightly higher HP 587's out there as the late model 587's have the boost ports in the case opened up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back