Info display

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seadoo4898

Hi there, I own a 1998 sea doo GSX limited 951cc. My friend flipped it and the info display screen quit working. A few weeks later it started to work again but then it quit again. I’ve checked all the wiring and it seems to be fine. Any suggestions?

I'd say something got wet and finally dried up. Did you ever see some fog inside your display? These are supposed to be sealed but on my old 2003, I've seen a small patch of fog in the past. It finally dried up but it took a whole winter with the ski in my heated garage for the issue to clear up.

Now I put the cover on every time it is rain in the forecast.

Benji.

I'd say something got wet and finally dried up. Did you ever see some fog inside your display? These are supposed to be sealed but on my old 2003, I've seen a small patch of fog in the past. It finally dried up but it took a whole winter with the ski in my heated garage for the issue to clear up.

Benji.

Benji.
So you’re saying to not buy a new display but try and let it dry up? Cause it sometimes comes on sometimes doesn’t.

Though they're supposed to be sealed from water, but you likely got water in it. If you remove it and open it up, you'll see where the LCD board inside plugs into a main board, you may have some corrosion and a bad connection. You can spray the internal connections with electrical spray, this may help, other wise you may have to deal with it being temperamental.

Last edited:
These displays are sealed (like press fit) and cannot be fixed unless replaced. If all the wiring going through it is OK (although it can be hard to spot because it goes a long way), then I would suspect the display to have taken humidity. Replacing displays must be quite a task and expensive.

I would give it a few weeks under hard sun and try to avoid water on it and then you may find your answer. You will find several threads on this forum with similar issues. On mine, humidity came out after a whole winter in a heated garage.

I think BRP never intended us to use their skis for 20 years as they barely supply parts after 10 years and still want to maintain them!

Benji.

These displays are sealed (like press fit) and cannot be fixed unless replaced. If all the wiring going through it is OK (although it can be hard to spot because it goes a long way), then I would suspect the display to have taken humidity. Replacing displays must be quite a task and expensive.

I would give it a few weeks under hard sun and try to avoid water on it and then you may find your answer. You will find several threads on this forum with similar issues. On mine, humidity came out after a whole winter in a heated garage.

I think BRP never intended us to use their skis for 20 years as they barely supply parts after 10 years and still want to maintain them!

Benji.

They're actually quite durable, but you must open them up to clean the lcd to main board connection, it does get corrosion not from water intrusion but humidity. I just repaired one that had a cooked display, it looked like trash, cost $25. You can order an LCD film to do that fix, it's actually quite simple to accomplish.

I was told it was very hard if not impossible to open them (on this forum) but if it can be done, hey, try it. But wait until it is completely dry to attempt that. The guy who had my ski before that left it outside all year (and under snow). One winter in my garage fixed it for good. I just have to be a bit careful now.

Benji.

I was told it was very hard if not impossible to open them (on this forum) but if it can be done, hey, try it. But wait until it is completely dry to attempt that. The guy who had my ski before that left it outside all year (and under snow). One winter in my garage fixed it for good. I just have to be a bit careful now.

Benji.

It's very easy to open them up, you just can't reuse the ring on the face. If you neatly glue it back and once it's reinstalled around the rubber support you can't tell. Why would you wait for it to be completely dry to open it up? If it has water in it the sooner the better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back