Improve holeshot on GSX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruntz

I have owned my 97 GSX since new, and it seems that its holeshot performance has slightly deteriorated over time. It used to be quite quick off the mark, and quick to recover from spins, but now, it is quite sluggish off the mark, sometimes needing a few pumps of the throttle to properly accelerate and get it planning.

Does anyone have any suggestions simple things that can be done to improve its acceleration, without compromising top end speed or making major mods to the engine?

You can start by checking your impeller & wear ring for damage. Are your revs higher than normal?

Chester

You can start by checking your impeller & wear ring for damage. Are your revs higher than normal?

Chester

It is the original impeller, and apart from some surface rust and a few minor nicks on the edges, it seems OK, but im no pro.

The wear ring was checked about 9 months ago by a mechanic, and he said it was OK. Upon recent inspection, it seems OK. I am not sure what the gap should be between the impeller edges and the wear ring....i might post a pic up on here of it to get your opinions.

The clearance between the impeller and wear ring should not be more than 0.040". To give you an idea, a dime is about 0.050-.055" thick.

I have checked the impeller and the wear ring, and both dont seem to have any noticable damage, and the impeller clearance seems fine.

Could it be something mechanical/electrical?

I would say to pull out your rave valves and clean them, I was having the same problems, and also change your plugs and clean your "air filter". Maybe check the carbs also....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back