Help with value on older SeaDoos - 96 GSX and 01 RX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike_d_s

I'm new to the board, but may be on much more depending on how this question and pending purchase goes. Hope its ok to kick off with a question on values.

My buddy got his double trailer stolen from the hotel while his skis were in the water at a friends lake house. I was helping him find a new trailer and came across a guy with a nice trailer with two older skis on it. Originally he was ok to sell the trailer by itself for a pretty good price, but now he wants me to make an offer on the skis also as a package. He's not looking to give them away, so I can't just say $200 and walk out, but I think he'll take a reasonable offer.

One is a 96 GSX and the other is a 01 RX.
I'm working from pics, but the bodies seem relatively clean and the paint looks fairly glossy (he claims they were stored in a barn). Only cosmetic issue is the vinyl and padding on the seats is shot. Engines look fairly clean from the pics. He's got no batteries for either so I can't run them and the key is missing for the 01 RX anyway. He has clear titles for both.

So I've never owned a PWC of any flavor or worked on one, but am a relatively experienced DIY car and motorcycle mechanic with some 2 stroke experience. I was thinking I could try my hand at rebuilding the skis with the thoughts at least one ends up being a runner. So my question for the board is given the condition and lack of ability to test, what's a fair value to offer the guy? I feel like if I lowball too much the good deal on the trailer ($750 for a nice double trailer with toolbox and a bunch of accessories) could evaporate but I definitely don't want to overpay.

Appreciate any input here and I expect to be active on the board during the rebuilds if I end up with the skis.
Mike

Any ski that isn't running is not worth more than $500. You have to assume the engines are shot at minimum and that it $1,000 so at best you are buying them for $1,500 plus no money for your time and trouble.

Appreciate the input. From perusing the forums it definitely seems like $500 is the go to value on an unknown ski. From a risk perspective, would it be fair to say that there's probably $200-$500 in usable parts to sell even if an engine is bad? So even if I ended up stripping them down I could recover a bit? I like working on things anyway, so if I got to enjoy myself for 3 or 4 weeks tearing them down and then ended up being out a few hundred I'd chalk it up to experience gained.

And from a different viewpoint, if these skis were in good average condition and running ok, what do you think they're worth. Even if I got them for free, is there a practical rebuild cost limit where I'm better off just not doing it?

Thanks for the help.
Mike

Clean and running in the market today probably $2,500 each but it is the end of the season.

You could make a little on parts but it is a big pain especially shipping and your time.

Tell him you are not intersted in the skis only the trailer. Those are two headaches you don't need to deal with.

Idk about that.. the GSX is a fun ski and the RX are decently quick
Then I'll suggest no more than $200 each for the skis. $500 is what you pay for a junk ski that doesn't need seats and comes with a decent trailer. Don't save your receipts. You'll be happier in the end. :) Good Luck. :D

Great advice above. I'm in a similar situation where I'm torn between reselling a running GSXL that I recently bought, 'as is', or pulling the new engine out and re-timing the counter balance shaft so I can get primo $$ for it. Damn these Sea-Doos.

Great advice above. I'm in a similar situation where I'm torn between reselling a running GSXL that I recently bought, 'as is', or pulling the new engine out and re-timing the counter balance shaft so I can get primo $$ for it. Damn these Sea-Doos.
Dang that's an ugly job I'd hate to do. Are you sure the shaft is out of time?

As for Seadoos, if one doesn't love to work on mechanical equipment owning the old two strokes would be a miserable expensive experience. But... once you get them right, you're golden. Nuthing cheaper and more fun out there to ride. I love the two strokes !! EAsy to work on and cheaper by far. Good Luck !!

Yeah, unfortunately it is vibrating so bad that the exhaust bolts will back out within ten minutes of test riding, so??? That has to be it. The pump and shaft are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back