Impeller spins free until I try to but back on boat.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdcomp

OK I looked at the forums and did not find anything talking about this particular issue. I have a 96 seadoo GTI and have replaced the wear ring. I was lucky and did not have to remove the impeller to do so. The impeller and shaft turn free and has clearance in the new wear ring. When I attach it to the boat it goes right on the the drive shaft and looks good until I start to torque the 4 nuts on the boat to attach the pump. Now the impeller is so tight I can not turn it at all. Back the nuts off and spins free again. I did not have any shims under the pump when I removed it. I am at a quandary and any suggestions on what to do now would be GREATLY appreciated. :willy_nilly:
Thanks everyone and this is a great forum as I have learned a lot!

Im confused, are you saying that when you try to start it the impeller is binding on the wear ring?

I'm not really sure what is exactly binding. Probably the impeller or jamming against the thrust washer.

The pump is out of alignment. When it came off, there were probably shims behind the bolts.

So... at this point... you need an alignment tool, and verify things.

The pump is out of alignment. When it came off, there were probably shims behind the bolts.

So... at this point... you need an alignment tool, and verify things.

I think I might have the same problem but as he said I had no shims between the pump housing and the boat .. I have little to no clearance between wear ring so I'm wondering if the wear ring isn't my issue?

I'm not understanding something....

Pump connected to driveshaft, yes? DS connected to motor, yes?

How's the pump gonna spin freely?

My '97 uses no shims under the pump.

I agree with Lake Sailor. Pull the plugs and see if you can spin the prop. Not sure how you could get your hand in there to spin it anyway. I would try to turn the PTO and see how you make out.

k, I had this problem with the spx I put together a month ago. I put a pump on it,new wear ring and impeller,perfect tight fit.when I started bolting on the pump,the housing deflection caused the impeller to dig into the wear ring.with the driveshaft removed it was the same. per a couple of members on here,i started the ski up with the pump not tight,with water running thru the intake side of the pump,and I tightened the pump slowly.the impeller cut its way perfectly into the wear ring,and ive been riding it ever since.

k, I had this problem with the spx I put together a month ago. I put a pump on it,new wear ring and impeller,perfect tight fit.when I started bolting on the pump,the housing deflection caused the impeller to dig into the wear ring.with the driveshaft removed it was the same. per a couple of members on here,i started the ski up with the pump not tight,with water running thru the intake side of the pump,and I tightened the pump slowly.the impeller cut its way perfectly into the wear ring,and ive been riding it ever since.

This is what I'm experiencing thanks for the info donkey

We need some clarity...

Please confirm the following..

Spins fee when NOT installed? Yes?
Will not spin when installed AND, the driveshaft is in the boat? Yes?

Update!
I checked the alignment and it was good so I did the run and tighten the ring down setup and it worked very well. The ring was hitting 1 corner and it trimmed probably a 5000th off the ring and it works great! Thanks for all the help!

Update!
I checked the alignment and it was good so I did the run and tighten the ring down setup and it worked very well. The ring was hitting 1 corner and it trimmed probably a 5000th off the ring and it works great! Thanks for all the help!

got a question for you. I do had this same problem, but what happened to me was my pump ate something. how did your pump look?

Yes. Mine actually ate a ski rope, got hot and gouged the wear ring. The pump impeller and bearings looked good though. I was able to replace the wear ring without removing the impeller. Once I got it back together the impeller would spin freely until I put back on the ski and then it would start to bind as I tightened it down. I spun the shaft and saw where it was scraping a bit in one location on the ring. After market wear ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back