If I run pre-mix. Can I do away with the Oil pump & tank completely 1998 Seadoo GTS

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasKid

If I run pre-mix. Can I do away with the Oil pump & tank completely 1998 Seadoo GTS?

I bought used (Jet Ski from Hell, see other posts) I was told I needed to keep oil on the tank. Is this right?

I would like to eliminate pump and cables if possible.

Thanks,

TexasKid

There are 2 lines coming out of the lower engine and they are both blocked off. This was done prior to me owning it.

Thanks,

TexasKid

A couple different ways. The easiest being to take both ends of the rotary valve oil lines loose from the tank and connect together with a double nipple of the correct size. Make sure lines are full of oil

You may already be set then. I would check every once in a while though to make sure you have oil in there though. The way i just described with the oil lines allows you to see oil in there.

I've removed the oil pump on both my skis. Personal preference but I leave the oil tanks installed, lines connected and put about a gallon of the correct oil in the tank. I am not sure how well the oil circulates in that system but any circulation would help plus would run a tad cooler. I have a visual on the oil and if I need premix... I have some in the oil tank to scavenge if necessary.

Thanks for your input....

I've removed the oil pump on both my skis. Personal preference but I leave the oil tanks installed, lines connected and put about a gallon of the correct oil in the tank. I am not sure how well the oil circulates in that system but any circulation would help plus would run a tad cooler. I have a visual on the oil and if I need premix... I have some in the oil tank to scavenge if necessary.

I have decided that is what I am going to do. Remove pump and leave tank.

Thx,

Texaskid

I switched to premix and in my second season now doing so. I simply put a 1/4 inch fuel cut off valve on the oil feed line and just left the oil pump in. At least on the 657x, there is nothing that can happen adversely by leaving the pump in and just cutting the oil to it. Did not feel like taking the carbs off and dismantling to put a block off it in.

Thanks for the comment. I have the carbs off for a rebuild. So pump removal should be easy. Nothing is really easy to get to on a Seadoo...

Thx,

TexasKid

Remove the intake to remove the plastic gear that drives the pump. Leave the pump as a "block off"... Can use the exiting oil line to the tank, and connect it T feed fitting at bottom of intake...id dump the 2-stroke oil and fill line/rv cavity with gear oil...

I removed the pump on my 96' SPI (657 engine) There is a plastic gear that drives the pump. If you cut off oil flow to the pump and it still rotates it seems logical that friction and lack of lubrication will destroy the pump at some point. If the pump locks up, the gear will get taken out and I think the parts will go directly into the rotary valve which wouldn't be healthy for the engine. I removed the entire pumps and plugged lines on the jets skis I converted (SPI and GTX). The only way I'd leave the pump in place would be if I stayed with the injection system. Block off plates are $10 if you can't make your own.

I switched to premix and in my second season now doing so. I simply put a 1/4 inch fuel cut off valve on the oil feed line and just left the oil pump in. At least on the 657x, there is nothing that can happen adversely by leaving the pump in and just cutting the oil to it. Did not feel like taking the carbs off and dismantling to put a block off it in.

That is not correct as the pump can seize if no oil is going to it. Just buy a block off kit and do it correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back