idle speed screw?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
When launching my challenger sea doo and it is tied to the dock, when it is started [ in neutral ] it takes off on it's own while still tied to the dock. Could this be the idling is set too high or maybe the prop is turning somehow even though it is in neutral? Very scary and dangerous. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Cliff.

It's a jet boat, right? For any jet boat using a constant driven impeller, the operator must remain at the helm at all times b/c there is no real neutral, the jet pump is pumping water at all times.

It's a jet boat, right? For any jet boat using a constant driven impeller, the operator must remain at the helm at all times b/c there is no real neutral, the jet pump is pumping water at all times.
Yes it is a jet boat, and if it starts pumping water at start up, is it possible to slow it down some so it is not taking off and making it hard to undo the lines?
Thank you 951C-Stock

I’m not an expert on the boats but as Sportster said the pumps are directly connected to the engines so if the engine is running the pumps are turning.

The neutral and reverse are controlled by a deflector gate that blocks and redirects the jet blast simulating neural and reverse.

So I would check idle speed first, should be 1400-1500 rpm in the water. If that checks out check the adjustment of your reverse buckets (deflectors).

I’m not an expert on the boats but as Sportster said the pumps are directly connected to the engines so if the engine is running the pumps are turning.

The neutral and reverse are controlled by a deflector gate that blocks and redirects the jet blast simulating neural and reverse.

So I would check idle speed first, should be 1400-1500 rpm in the water. If that checks out check the adjustment of your reverse buckets (deflectors).
Thanks again mikidymac
Cliff.

Yes, the boat will move some even while in neutral. It shouldn’t be moving much though... When I take my Speedster out, I generally fire it up to make sure it will start, then kill the motors while I undo all of the dock lines before restarting it and idling away from the dock.

The true “neutral” point, where there is no forward motion, is usually somewhere between N and R on the lever. Unfortunately it seems as if you were to adjust the deflector buckets to where that point is correct on the shift lever, the buckets will not be fully out of the way when the lever is in the F position. At least it’s that way on my boat... It’s one of those things that you just have to be aware of and eventually it becomes second nature to start the boat and then pull the shift lever back if you want it to stay still...

Yes, the boat will move some even while in neutral. It shouldn’t be moving much though... When I take my Speedster out, I generally fire it up to make sure it will start, then kill the motors while I undo all of the dock lines before restarting it and idling away from the dock.

The true “neutral” point, where there is no forward motion, is usually somewhere between N and R on the lever. Unfortunately it seems as if you were to adjust the deflector buckets to where that point is correct on the shift lever, the buckets will not be fully out of the way when the lever is in the F position. At least it’s that way on my boat... It’s one of those things that you just have to be aware of and eventually it becomes second nature to start the boat and then pull the shift lever back if you want it to stay still...
Thanks JeremyD615 sounds logical.
Cliff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back