Ideal boost pressure

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

trevorc5505

Hi everyone I have a 215 hp seadoo challenger that I recently put in the x charger, 42lb injectors and a fizzle intercooler. The first time I brought it out it was absolutely flying and has gotten progressively slower over the past 20 hours. Now it is about the same speed as before I did all the upgrades. I just purchased a candoo pro and wanted to know what kind of boost I should be expecting now?

When I first got it back it would go 48-49 at 8200 rpm but now it goes 43ish at 7800 rpm

Have your local water temps increased a lot since you upgraded? I’m not sure if a 20°F increase will explain a 400rpm, drop, but it’s something to consider.

They hadn't increased all that much since this was happening. Intake temp is showing like 55 degrees and water temp is now 75.

I wouldn't think that's the issue

I would say 400 rpm is too much of a drop for temp differences. I normally see about 100/150 rpm diff from early/late season from mid season when water and air Temps are higher.

I would say 400 rpm is too much of a drop for temp differences. I normally see about 100/150 rpm diff from early/late season from mid season when water and air Temps are higher.
yeah I replaced the spark plugs and got 8000 RPMs for a few minutes but then it settle back into 7800ish after that

Same thing happened when I replaced one of the coil sticks

I am running what my Marina sells.... I am reasonably certain it's 91 but I'm just assuming. I'll have to call tomorrow....

Would these performance issues fit the picture? Because the first time out this season when it was flying was for sure 91 ethanol free and then I guess performance did go down hill when I was refueling on the water...

The engine has a knock sensor and it will pull back the timing if it senses detonation. (Engine Knock). Retarding the timing will result in a loss of HP.

If your fuel is less than 91 Octane, the likely hood of detonation is high.

A good test if you have a trailer is to run it down fuel wise, then fuel it from a busy station. See how it performs then.

If you have the Candoo, I think it has a reading for the knock sensor.

I will have to look at mine and check.

Okay yes please let me know. Or even if there is a way to watch the ignition timing get retarded. I'll work on burning off the gas in the boat in the meantime

Here is some data I just got from a run a few minutes ago:

Does the TPS percentage and degrees look correct to you? You would think that it would go to 100 but I know it doesn't.

Water temp was about 75 degrees and Intake temp was about 60 degrees.

Attachments

• Full throttle 60 second.PNG
    Full throttle 60 second.PNG
    81.8 KB · Views: 27
  • TPS Full Throttle.PNG
    TPS Full Throttle.PNG
    18.7 KB · Views: 24
  • TPS Idle.PNG
    TPS Idle.PNG
    17.3 KB · Views: 25
Here is some data I just got from a run a few minutes ago:

Does the TPS percentage and degrees look correct to you? You would think that it would go to 100 but I know it doesn't.

Water temp was about 75 degrees and Intake temp was about 60 degrees.

I am wondering if it’s a TPS is not calibrated and the engine isn’t adding enough timing. Do you have data logs that can pull in knock, and timing as well?

I am wondering if it’s a TPS is not calibrated and the engine isn’t adding enough timing. Do you have data logs that can pull in knock, and timing as well?
I wish was able to see the timing. As far as I know I cannot see it with the Candoo pro....

Funny but not funny. My Speedster lost 200 RPM's today and is running a it rough. I pulled the plugs and they are textbook but have maybe 20 hours on them. Going to replace them in the AM.

In the process of troubleshooting, there is no knock sensor reading or timing reading. Also my TPS is 83.4 at full throttle.

You might want to go through the TPS reset procedure in CanDoo.

I checked all my hoses. Did a slip check on the SC. All good.

Might be another bad coil as I had one cause stumbling last year. It was easy to identify from the plug. (Cyl 1)

Would like to get back to 8040/8060 rpm. Today, could not break much beyond 7840.

Air temp was up but normally I can run 8K no problem. End of year in cool Temps I can run 8160.

Funny but not funny. My Speedster lost 200 RPM's today and is running a it rough. I pulled the plugs and they are textbook but have maybe 20 hours on them. Going to replace them in the AM.

In the process of troubleshooting, there is no knock sensor reading or timing reading. Also my TPS is 83.4 at full throttle.

You might want to go through the TPS reset procedure in CanDoo.

I checked all my hoses. Did a slip check on the SC. All good.

Might be another bad coil as I had one cause stumbling last year. It was easy to identify from the plug. (Cyl 1)

Would like to get back to 8040/8060 rpm. Today, could not break much beyond 7840.

Air temp was up but normally I can run 8K no problem. End of year in cool Temps I can run 8160.
That's funny it's actually running just like mine. I wonder if there is a driveline component in this?

Bought new plugs, wanted to buy a coil as cyl 3 had a little bit of carbon caked on the ground tip.

Dealer said coils are on back order till the end of Aug....:(

Will have to find another source. Last time I had a stutter, I figured it was a coil and when looking at the plugs, one had a tiny bit of carbon. That was cyl 1 so I started there. Problem solved. Should have just replaced them all.

Bought new plugs, wanted to buy a coil as cyl 3 had a little bit of carbon caked on the ground tip.

Dealer said coils are on back order till the end of Aug....:(

Will have to find another source. Last time I had a stutter, I figured it was a coil and when looking at the plugs, one had a tiny bit of carbon. That was cyl 1 so I started there. Problem solved. Should have just replaced them all.
I found OEM ones online with a google search. I have replaced all 3 coils in the last 2 weeks. Let me know how it goes...

Update...

Compression tested it for good measure.

Stone cold

Cyl 1 > 115 PSI
Cyl 2 > 112 PSI
Cyl 3 > 110 PSI

Again, cold.

In typical fashion, not worried about totals as it is cold. Looks good to be with 5 PSI between high/low

Put in new plugs and will run it tomorrow.

If it is still not hitting 8K, will work to find some coils.

Update.

New plugs, 7860 RPM max. Still slight surging and some throttle advancing flat spotting. Found OEM coil, now 7980 and no symptoms.

Curious now about Temps because ambient is now around 82 degrees and water temp is 77 degrees.

Earlier in the week the water temp was 74 and air was 74.

Think now I might be chasing ghosts?

Update.

New plugs, 7860 RPM max. Still slight surging and some throttle advancing flat spotting. Found OEM coil, now 7980 and no symptoms.

Curious now about Temps because ambient is now around 82 degrees and water temp is 77 degrees.

Earlier in the week the water temp was 74 and air was 74.

Think now I might be chasing ghosts?
Everything running like it should?

Lost the other issues but still can't break 7.8/7.9k rpm now.

No other issues.

Curious to see what happens when the Temps drop.

This fall, I will pull the injectors and test them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back