No beeps, no CELs, no RPM gauge. Only runs if I disable DESS with Candoo Pro

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys.

So I'm about 6 months into attempting to fix my 2006 Sportster. I've spent about $3,500 in parts. I'm at the point that I'm willing to pay someone who is an expert in trouble shooting the 4tec CAN system, and the VCM, EFB boxes.

I still have code P0600. CAN communication problem. No DESS beeps. No CELs, no RPM gauge. Motor will run if I disable the DESS with Candoo Pro. With DESS disabled motor starts and runs but no beeps, no CELs, and no RPM gauge.

I know it's not the ECU because I tried a new one. I replaced the VCM and the EFB. I replaced the motor wire harness. And I tested all the wires in the chassis harness up to the console. I have purchased a used chassis harness, but that's a pain to install.

I know that my VCM box was bad because it had a corroded off pin. That was the first thing I purchased, a new VCM. When that didn't fix it I bought a EFB then a ECU. The replacement ECU wouldn't communicate with Candoo Pro, so I returned it as defective. Then after hearing the ECU I returned wasn't defective, I replaced the engine wire harness.

I'm willing to pay someone who is an expert at trouble shooting these boats to help me diagnose the problem. I am now convinced that the first part I bought, the VCM is defective. But, I don't want to keep buying multiple expensive electronic boxes. I'm about $3,500 in part already attempting to fix this problem.

It's driving me nuts.......

The P0600 is pretty normal for your software from what I understand and is nothing to be concerned with.

Do you have the wiring diagram?

Does sound like a bad VCM or you have a bad connection or even a bad post. The circuit is fairly simple and the VCM is basically a pass through for the DESS circuit where the ECU is reading the chip in the lanyard. If those circuits don't get to the ECM, nothing happens like you never put the key on. Is that what is happening?

The P0600 is pretty normal for your software from what I understand and is nothing to be concerned with.

Do you have the wiring diagram?

Does sound like a bad VCM or you have a bad connection or even a bad post. The circuit is fairly simple and the VCM is basically a pass through for the DESS circuit where the ECU is reading the chip in the lanyard. If those circuits don't get to the ECM, nothing happens like you never put the key on. Is that what is happening?

Hi.

Yes. I have a wire diagram. I tested all the grounds and power wires.

I wrote a really detailed description of my problem in my original post. Please re-read that so I don't have to answer your question by saying the same thing again.

It's a new ECU, VCM, and EFB. Yes. I think the VCM was the original problem as it had two corroded off pins. The first thing I bought was a new VCM. Then EFB, then ECU. Then swapped the engine harness.

I'm convinced the problem is the VCM. But, I already bought a new one, and can't bring myself to buy a second one. Maybe I got a defective one and I've been chaising my tail ever since. IDK. It's driving me crazy.

Someone said to read the CAN wires with a Oscilloscope. But, I don't have one, and I wouldn't know what to look for. Do any of you have experience with reading the CAN wire signals? I can try to borrow or buy a Oscilloscope meter.

What exactly happens when you put the key on? Do any gauges come to life?

Have you confirmed your beeper works? And your tach works? Your neutral safety switch? Your dess post? Your key is good? And programmed to your ECU?

I'm 100% sure I can fix your boat but what you think is clear to you may not be clear to others. It's pretty obvious that if it runs with the dess disabled then the problem is with the ECU reading the key. You don't need an oscilloscope.

Hi.

Understood. With DESS enabled when I put the key on the post the fuel pump cycles. No beeps. No CEL lights. The gauges power up but the needles don't move. I have the Round gauges. Not the center cluster. So it's a CEL gauge, a RPM, Speedo, and fuel gauge. All separate. Sometimes the needles will start floating up slowly, like they have power but no signal. The speedo works, if I spin the paddle wheel with my finger the speedo registers. Basically everything that is routed though the VCM doesn't work.

Your questions with answers:

Have you confirmed your beeper works? Yes. And your tach works? Yes. Has power. Needle will float a bit if I wiggle connection, like it has power but no signal. Your neutral safety switch? Yes. With DESS disabled motor starts when in neutral and not when in gear. Your dess post? Yes. I can program key with Candoo Pro and when I put it on the post Candoo Pro recognizes it and even if the post was bad and wasn't detecting a key it would beep the not happy beep, I get no beeps at all. Your key is good? Yes. I've tried multiple keys. And programmed to your ECU? Yes. Key programmed to ECU with Candoo Pro.

I do appreciate your help.

even if the post was bad and wasn't detecting a key it would beep the not happy beep, I get no beeps at all.
Not true, there are 2 switches in the DESS post. They do fail quite often where they do absolutely nothing when any key is put on. Other times, they fail where they partially work but won't start the ski. I always have good DESS posts on hand to test because it takes 1 minute to plug in another one at the connector.

You need to check continuity from the DESS switch connector to the VCM, input and output, and then to the ECU focusing on the white/gray wire to the ECU at the B-38 position and the black/yellow at the B-26.

Last edited:
We'll guys. It was a bad VCM all along. The very first part I purchased, a new VCM from Seadoo was defective. That caused me 6 months of chaising my tail. $3,000 waisted trouble shooting. So frustrating. But, glad I found my problem.

I chopped open my VCM that had two corroded off pins and removed two unused pins and used those to replace the corroded off pins, and it worked.

I am now attempting to do a seadoo warranty exchange of this VCM. The original VCM I fixed works for testing, but it's not waterproof and I wouldn't trust it out on the water.

Thx for all the help and suggestions.

Attachments

• PXL_20220907_025444463.jpg
    PXL_20220907_025444463.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20220907_025452243.jpg
    PXL_20220907_025452243.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20220907_025507166.jpg
    PXL_20220907_025507166.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 12
Status