IBR Troubleshooting & Fault CodesP1661 & C2131

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RJN

Hi Guys & Girls, I'm new to the Sea Doo world & already have an issue... Just purchased a 2009 GTX IS Limited 255 & the IBR light is on & I have a P1661 & C2131 fault. Best of all I haven't even took it out yet only washed it, put a new battery in when I woke it up these popped up. Any help or direction on where I can find some troubleshooting links would be appreciated. I did check all the fuses & unpluged the power wires to check power which was good going in but not going out to the motor. Not real sure how or what to check on the 12 pin connector. Thanks

2009 and 2010 iBR units are prone to failure. Do a search and you will find several that I have helped others but the majority of the time the iBR unit will need replaced.

Thanks for replying! I did unplug the 12 pin connector & cleaned both ends with electrical contact cleaner & it long enough to cycle up & down then quit again. Can you tell me what is the best place to have the gate to remove the 2 bolts from the actuator? Trying to pull it out today….

Also does anyone know of any videos on how to remove the IBR on the 2009 GTX Ltd 255?

Probably a good idea to pull the gate and nozzle anyway and inspect and replace bushings if your pulling or replacing the actuator. Download a service manual for your ski and follow precisely including torque and new bolts where required.

You have to pull the iBR gate to get to the bolts that hold the iBR actuator in place. It's only like 6 bolts all on the outside and the complete actuator unit will come out of the access panel. Very simple on that model, not so much on others.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will but was wondering if I could pull the actuator without pulling the gate since I only have 17 hours & all in freshwater so it’s very unlikely that the bushings have any wear? I’m assuming that I only have to remove the 2 bolts that are on the actuator shaft?

In response to downloading a service manual, I did purchase one online from EManuals & it did not have anything about the IBR Actuator (pissed me off since it was the only thing I wanted to see right now) the only time it mentioned it was at the end just saying that it was new to the market & how it worked!!! So anyone wanting a manual stay away from EManuals as they were not wanting to replace it for me!

You need the 2009 RXT 255 iS GTX LIMITED iS 255 manual. That was the first year for the iBR and they definitely didn't get it quite right and made several changes to the both the pcb and the brackets. By 2011 it was pretty reliable but I'm seeing more and more 2011-2014 failures(did a 2012 and a 2013 in the last few weeks). The 2015 and newer style with the bellows is even better but did a 2015 spark and a 2017 GTI this summer as well so still not bullet proof.

The manual is like 60 mB so if you give me a place to upload it I can do that for you.

Your ski is 12 years old, sometimes it’s not all about hours, anything plastic will get hard and brittle over time, including your supercharger ball bearing holders, if a plastic gate bushing or sleeve breaks and they are stressed pretty hard during braking it could bind your gate and mess up a new actuator, cheap preventive maintenance, and I’m a expert on plastic deterioration I own a 10 year old BMW.

Last edited:
Got ya I think I found the right manual but thanks anyway. After cleaning the 12 pin plug I was able to move it up n down with no codes… but oddly enough it was starting fine before & now I can’t get it to fire up at all? Very strange thinking it has to have something to do with maybe not being positioned back to neutral?? Please send me your thoughts. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back