I Need a Longer-Lasting Spark Plug - Which plug?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

BTR

2005 RXT 4-Tec Supercharged 215HP. I've always used the OEM spark plugs (NGK DCPR8E gapped to 0.03”). But, they "go bad" on a regular basis. They are not fouled nor burned, and don't have any signs of abnormality when looking at the tips...... one of them simply goes bad. This necessitates that I change all 3 plugs. I would like to find a plug that will last longer. Suggestions for longer-lasting plugs? Please advise. Thanks.

Curious how much time are you getting out of them? I'm brand new to this world but wondering if a lot of short starts and stops (especially without warming up) are causing the issue?

Curious how much time are you getting out of them? I'm brand new to this world but wondering if a lot of short starts and stops (especially without warming up) are causing the issue?
Sometimes I let my skis warm up, other times I don't. Sometimes I cruise for long periods, other times I constantly juice-it all over the place. There's no constancy to the way my skis are used. Thus, I haven't found any correlation with WHEN one of my skis decides to run poorly (maximum speed is about 42; sounds terrible; sounds like it's running on 2 cylinders instead of 3; no get-up-and-go). I haven't tracked the length of each of the "it runs-good" periods, so I don't have an answer for you on that. And, oddly, when removed, none of the 3 spark plugs give me any indication as to what's gone wrong. Just slap-in 3 new plugs and everything is AOK.

Back in 2003 right after the 4tecs came out in 2002 I started seeing several skis that had fouled plugs and really had trouble believing it at first. They appeared to fail almost as much as the 2 strokes which made no sense to me. I tried several brands and even the hotter NGK DCPR7E but nothing that either didn't also fail or it didn't run as well than the stock 4339. So it just became the standard that the plugs fail and you have to change them. I've heard others say one brand or another is better but that hasn't been my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back