I might be an idiot...Where is the alternator

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

vhardin

Hi,
I have a 2002 Sea Doo Challenger 1800 with a Mercury 240 EFI engine. On 2 separate occasions the boat has died from mid-range RPM's. I decided to check the alternator today and, even though I had the manual, I couldn't find it. No belt, no belt tensioner and no alternator. Is that possible? Everything I have looked at has the normal placement on the port side of the engine, but it's not there. I have a mechanic coming on Tuesday to check and make sure if the alternator is working, but I'm gonna feel really stupid if he shows up and there is no alternator.

Any help would be nice.

Well... if you lifted the top cover, and don't have a belt and alternator... you have a Gen1 engine. The Gen2 was 2001-1/2 year production, and didn't show up in MOST Seadoo boats until 2003 model year boats. (they were actually released late 2002, your 2002 MY boat was most likely released in 2001)

So... your alternator is part of the MAG system. It's under the flywheel, and your 2 voltage regulators are mounted on the Starboard side of the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back