I got cited @ no wake zone

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

cheappc

I got cited @ a no wake zone but I shut off my motor as soon as I got to the buoy?

i was going to gun it and start a lake water pursuit involving 3 jurisdictions @ lake Mead/Mojave , because I refused to sign the citation, then I was told I didn't have to sign anything? They cited me based on the name on the registration of the watercraft? So I could be riding anyone's water craft and they cite the name of the registered owner?

So you feel like you were not in violation of the no-wake zone? I teaching boating safety for the SC DNR as a volunteer.

No wake means the minimal speed to maintain steerage. http://wow.uscgaux.info/Uploads_wowII/095-45-01/Slow_No_Wake.pdf

Now if you chop the throttle right at the bouy and your wake carried past the buoy I would bet that would be grounds for a ticket.

Just be glad you did not have them chase you. The number of violations goes up a by a lot.
Failure to yield to an officer
Failure to maintain idle speed within a vicinity of a blue light
Blah Blah Blah

Also they would be more than happy to detain you for a blood test if you had ran.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, your vessel should not create a wake going into a no wake zone. That is not a cut and coast point. I see guys do it all the time though.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

So you feel like you were not in violation of the no-wake zone? I teaching boating safety for the SC DNR as a volunteer.

No wake means the minimal speed to maintain steerage. http://wow.uscgaux.info/Uploads_wowII/095-45-01/Slow_No_Wake.pdf

Now if you chop the throttle right at the bouy and your wake carried past the buoy I would bet that would be grounds for a ticket.

Just be glad you did not have them chase you. The number of violations goes up a by a lot.
Failure to yield to an officer
Failure to maintain idle speed within a vicinity of a blue light
Blah Blah Blah

Also they would be more than happy to detain you for a blood test if you had ran.

I don't drink, the young (19 years old) park ranger officer implied if I had been drinking, I smiled and said no welcome to check my blood alcohol level.

His supervisor just called me, after sleeping on it I did not want to file a formal complaint, his supervisor told me he just graduated from the academy and they get a little gung-ho.

The only gripe I had is when he stated "no your not going to get my supervisor your going to seat on this rock and accept your ticket" I thought that was funny. I called the authorities and demanded his supervisor, also I was not going to sign any ticket, or sit on any rock I stated to him he's going to have to arrest me.

He came back and stated I did not have to sign anything I also felt bad for my girlfriend who would have to drive back the spark and retrieve it by herself, but once he told me I didn't have to sign anything I was like cool, ok let's go then..

water cops can be interesting characters at times. My experience is 80% are great 15% difficult, 5% major pains in my azz.

But the followup's are correct, its not a cut & coast into the no wake zone, although I've been guilty of that myself, I just usually keep a close eye out and if I see another watercraft anywhere I cut & coast early so as to not push any wake into the no wake zone just in case I have one of those gung ho types out there.

We have a LOT of no wake zones in my area, and they can be pretty heavily policed, since IMO its an easy way to snag a boater/skier for a violation. I've had a couple of verbal warnings for ideling a little too fast. The only ticket I've ever received was for going about 55 in a no wake, (I missed the sign, duh) but he was pretty cool about it.

Sounds like the LEO was being a bit obstinate, and it IS hard to not get the same attitude. I've fought many, MANY tickets in my lifetime and have only 'won' once; and the lawyer fees far outweighed the ticket cost but it had become a 'moral issue' by that point, lol! Any more both water and road cops will use just about ANY excuse they can find to pull you over to do a BAC. Huge revenue comes from citations.

Several years ago a friend of mine was idling his boat out of a marina after fueling, and a female friend was sitting on the gunwale of the boat so that was grounds for a Missouri lake patrol to pull them over. My friend got a little...chippy...with the LEO and so the guy kept them for about an hour, in 100 degree heat, and ended up citing them for:
1. life jackets stowed and not readily available
2. no throwable
3. no secondary signaling device

He 'graciously' didn't cite the young lady for her violation of not being seated...

me and one of my sons got pulled over on havasu,cali side by havasu landing.he cited us for going ,,get this,,COUNTER CLOCKWISE ON A CLOCKWISE LAKE!
the judge laughed,yes,laughed and dropped the charges.

In the canals back behind my house, we get all the crotchety old coots yelling at EVERYONE to slow down, yet they cruise through faster than most... I try to always respect the no wake zones, but there are many times where if it is beginning to storm, I'll move through a little faster (no more then 10mph) and they get pissed. Funny enough, the waves from the storm are always over twice as high as any wake I'm leaving.

To follow up with everyone, I paid the ticket, $125.00. That sucked. But I didnt want to be stopped and have a federal warrant for my arrest to screw up another vacation of mine. I learned a lesson though, Im gonna go in very slow at the wake zones. Just in case.

I was stopped on my lake and issued a ticket for missing 1 life jacket. While waiting for them to fill out the ticket, I asked what their top speed was ( I was in our utility boat and had no chance of getting away). Glad to know that on my lake, my seadoo will run 10-15 mph faster than their boat.

Back