How to tell if this 4-Tec is supercharged or not?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andre900

Hello,
How do I tell if this 4Tec is supercharged? I've been getting mixed answers and got referred to this forum. I've attached three pictures and tagged what I think might be the supercharger w/ a piece of yellow paper on the second & third pictures. View is looking into the engine hatch from the port side.

What is the 4-inch diameter black tube sticking up, open on the end? This tube sucks in air, but shouldn't there be an air filter attached at the open end? Thanks.

Attachments

• Rotax-Port1.JPG
    Rotax-Port1.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Rotax-Port6.JPG
    Rotax-Port6.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 42
  • Rotax-Port4.JPG
    Rotax-Port4.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 43
Thanks KK40384, I was getting mixed answers and I couldn't clearly tell from pics. What is that 4-inch black open-ended tube sticking up? It sucks in air; should an air filter be affixed to it?

That looks like the tube that leads to the air box. I believe the earlier non SC 4tecs had an air box and filter. If you follow that tube down you should find it. The newer 08+ had a cone filter attached. If you don't find a filter don't be alarmed since boats do not really need a filter. You're not operating them in dusty environments. Most hulls are pretty good at keeping dirt and debris out.

Okay....The pic shows what appears to be a supercharger on the back of the motor with an oem 3" intake hose sticking up...instead of running over the carbon ring and around the under-starboard side of the motor.

The question I have for a definitive answer....that snail shaped sc looking thing with the tape on it...the rubber hose that sticks up feeds the sc...where does the exit hose go?....it does not seem to feed the throttle body...does it go to an external intercooler by chance?...and then a hose from that to the tb? That intake hose is obscuring the view of the sc's exit hose.

Also...check to be sure that J-pipe is installed correctly...specifically the V-clamp attaching it to the exhaust manifold. Also check the hose exiting the water box...I don't like the positioning of the two clamps there.

Another thing...there is a fitting above the sc...on the block...I'm assuming you removed a hose to allow a better view of the sc?

Look up "engine/ air intake" in an oem parts finder. for an '05 4tec scic. You'll get a better idea of what you're looking at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok now that I look at it again there appears to be a SC there. From your other post I figured that this is a 04 Sportster, but I can't seem to find anything about the 04s having a SC engine option anywhere.

Gents, thanks for the help. According to the female seller, this boat is an '04 Sportster with a "rebuilt 150hp SC V-Tech." The female seller didn't speak English well, didn't know much about the specs or technology, and couldn't provide any paperwork or manuals. She did have a clean title, let me take the boat out for a lengthy water trial, and gave me the tel. no. of her boat mechanic, "Edgar." Edgar rarely answers his telephone, doesn't speak English well, and couldn't remember the details of this rebuild, but "would send me the paperwork." That was two weeks ago.

I'm starting to think this "re-build" was a hatchet job (also, none of the gauges work, but fueses look good); but the boat flys and seems to run like a top! I've had the boat exactly three weeks, and since then I've been out on the water two hours a day every other day. (It's been a gorgeous December in FL!) The weather is forecast for 80 degrees and sunny tomorrow, so I'll hit the water again! Anyway, I shopped all over FL for a SeaDoo jet boat, and think I got a good buy at $4000, but hope I didn't buy a bunch of future problems.

Red2Blue, "Another thing...there is a fitting above the sc...on the block...I'm assuming you removed a hose to allow a better view of the sc?" Right, that was going to be my next question. The way it shows in the pic is the way I got it. It looks like some type of a vent hose should be connected to that fitting, and it's a tad wet around the opening of that fitting. I'll google some more pics, but haven't been able to find a match yet.

KK40384, Right, I've had a little trouble determining when SeaDoo put the SC in the Sportster jet boat, but SeaDoo first came out w/ the 4-Tec SC for the RXP PWC in 2003. (http://www.seadoosource.com/seadoomodelreference.html).

I think I've seen a few '04 Sportsters for sale w/ SC, but can't find any definitive specs. These two reviews make no mention of a SC for the '04: http://features.boats.com/boat-cont...t-sea-doo-sportster-8212-let-the-sunshine-in/ and http://en-us.sea-doo.com/Archives/archives_2005/en-us/sportboats/2004/Sportster.4-TEC/Specs.htm

What I tagged in the pic looks similar to a SC in other pics I've seen (sort of like a "snail" as Red2Blue described it, and that's exactly how I've described it), and the "SC" seems to make a winding sound at quick acceleration (and I've read that is the sound of the SC).

I guess I need to determine the year of the motor. Based on the pics, I guess I can conclude that the motor is supercharged, right?

My guess by the way some of the hose clamps sit in there is that you have a 155hp boat that went kaboom and someone (Edgar) installed what he thought was something similar but in reality most likely put in a SC motor. Now my main concern is how well the install was done and if intercooler hoses were connected and why the gauges don't work. Was the ECU reflashed to work with the SC motor. If any one of those hasn't been done you've got a ticking time bomb if it even runs.

Yep. I was starting to get the feeling that this was a hatchet job, but it runs like a top! What does "ECU reflash" mean and should I be concerned and get it done?

Well the ECU is the computer that controls the engine. It contains fuel maps and such. If you're using the computer from a 155hp on a supercharged motor the spark and fuel curve may not be optimal causing detonation and ultimately destroying the motor. You want to make sure you're running the correct tune. At this point you may want to have a certified seadoo tech take a look and see what you got and what you need to make it safe. Any combo out there can run like a champ. But for how long before it implodes?

Andre900,

"The question I have for a definitive answer....that snail shaped sc looking thing with the tape on it...the rubber hose that sticks up feeds the sc...where does the exit hose go?....it does not seem to feed the throttle body...does it go to an external intercooler by chance?...and then a hose from that to the tb?"

red2blue, yes, the exit hose (i.e. exits out the bottom part of the sc) wraps around and up and into the throttle mechanism. That's what I want, right?

Any idea what that other (naked) fitting sticking up on the block is - then one you questioned and the one I think is some kind of a vent - and what I should do about it?

Lastly, should I put some kind of filter or maybe just screening (like a from a window screen) around the (naked) opening of the sc intake tube?

If the sun comes out, I hope to get out on the boat today!

...Any idea what that other (naked) fitting sticking up on the block is - then one you questioned and the one I think is some kind of a vent - and what I should do about it?

Lastly, should I put some kind of filter or maybe just screening (like a from a window screen) around the (naked) opening of the sc intake tube?...

The one schamatic I looked at didn't show that particular fitting. If I were you I'd run down the possibles in the oem parts finder. I'm going hunting in a few min.

If you don't find what you're looking for...at the dock...with the boat in the water and motor running...make sure that thing isn't dumping water into the hull...see if something else is.

Ok, a few more facts. The seller tells me that the original motor blew up when the original owner let it run out of engine oil. Then she purchased it and had "Edgar" install a rebuilt 155HP V-tec SCIC with "57 hours on it." Aside from the run-time claim, I think we can conclude that this is what's in the Sportster; though it looks like the '04 Sportster did not offer the SC option when new. It appears to be a less-than perfect installation; nonetheless, the boat runs great and goes like a rocket. I had it out for two hours today. Since I purchased it on Dec. 6th, I've had it out about ten times for a total run-time of about 20 hours, and no engine problems. Anyway, I'll soon be taking it to a SeaDoo dealer for a thorough inspection.

Also, the engine compartment is staying nice and dry; no water is getting in or being expelled out of that odd "vent" tube.

Gents, you guys have been great! I hope I can return the help to some other jet boat& PWC enthusiasts in the future!

Cool to hear its supercharged, hopefully you can get it all ironed out and have a reliable boat. Welcome (back) to the forum, now knock it off with that "I'm out riding, it's 80 degrees here"

My truck said -9 on my way to work this morning so I'm bitter. :thumbsup:

You have some issues that need fixed but need a little more info first. At the front of the motor there will be an engine plate with the year mfg, give us that. Also, the ECU which sits on the intake has a p/n on it, give us that. Does it have an intercooler? More pics of the engine would help and then I can tell you what year it is from but it looks to be 06-08.

Somebody put a sc motor in your boat from a ski and didn't hook it up very well. I would suspect it was a total transplant including ECU, driveshaft, pump, everything. Which is why your gauges don't work and never will unless you change your gauges out or get the correct ECU like from a speedster that runs a sc.

The vent hose sticking up is your air intake to your sc and this is very bad. If you suck something in there it will destroy your sc instantly, not to mention that you are sucking hot air over the motor which is also not good. Also, your TOPS valve is missing a hose and left open which also is not good. The two brackets on the exhaust manifold is where this hose should be routed.

We can give you workarounds to make it safe but right now it is kind of a ticking time bomb.

Thanks ski-doo. I was kind of getting the feeling this was a bit of a hatchet job, but it does seem to run very well. I'll pull those ID nos. and post them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back