How to service Rave Valve---Pictorial---

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
they should move up and down freely. sounds like the slots the raves fit into are gummed up too and need cleaned out

Is there a proven method for removing the crud out of the rave slots without it falling inside? I have to have at least 1/16" of gunk in that slot.

Quick question, my 1997 xp was spitting out a bit of oil from one of these valves, is this normal, or signs that it needs to be cleaned

Quick question, my 1997 xp was spitting out a bit of oil from one of these valves, is this normal, or signs that it needs to be cleaned

needs cleaned. something may have come apart inside too. Whenever I've seen them spitting oil, it needed a new o-ring or the bellows disconnected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good thanks I will check it out this sat, do u know where I can find a o ring replacment?

See if one of you local shops have it first. Its sometimes a stocked part. Also, do a google search for rave rebuild kits. The kit comes with the o-ring, gasket, and bellow. I just waited two weeks for an OEM o-ring and gasket. I wish I would have found the rebuild kit first. Wouldnt have had to wait so long.

Great write up, will definitely help when I clean mine.

Question.... I have read in different places, that the red cap can either be flush with the black boot (more high end speed) or down (in) a bit in the boot (low end power). Mine are set down (in) a bit, how can I change them to be flush? Does it have to be taken apart? If so, what inside would I have to change to make it flush with the boot?

Thx!!

Great write up, will definitely help when I clean mine.

Question.... I have read in different places, that the red cap can either be flush with the black boot (more high end speed) or down (in) a bit in the boot (low end power). Mine are set down (in) a bit, how can I change them to be flush? Does it have to be taken apart? If so, what inside would I have to change to make it flush with the boot?

Thx!!

just put a screwdriver in one of the slots in the red cap and turn it. nothing to do inside. turning the cap out just reduces the pressure on the spring and allows the valve to open sooner.

just put a screwdriver in one of the slots in the red cap and turn it. nothing to do inside. turning the cap out just reduces the pressure on the spring and allows the valve to open sooner.

Thanks, great to know!

However, just today one of my red caps blew out, basically I have no red cap, took off the spring clip over the black valve cover and under neath there is kinda a mess with a hole in a plastic part (see attached). Think I only need to replace that top black piece and red cap? Unless I find the red cap? lol. These hard to come by?

Why would it blow out like that? I checked before I went and all looked well, and the red cap was not flush, but in a bit. urg!

Sorry for the pics, at night with my phone and a flash light on my head.

Attachments

• 2011-08-26 20.19.29.jpg
    2011-08-26 20.19.29.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 256
  • 2011-08-26 20.19.00.jpg
    2011-08-26 20.19.00.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 222
Thanks, great to know!

However, just today one of my red caps blew out, basically I have no red cap, took off the spring clip over the black valve cover and under neath there is kinda a mess with a hole in a plastic part (see attached). Think I only need to replace that top black piece and red cap? Unless I find the red cap? lol. These hard to come by?

Why would it blow out like that? I checked before I went and all looked well, and the red cap was not flush, but in a bit. urg!

Sorry for the pics, at night with my phone and a flash light on my head.

did you remember to put the O-ring back on the RAVE when you cleaned it and put it back together?
I would replace the O-Rings.

If you take it apart can you move the RAVE freely up and down in the slot?
Are you using the correct oil? API-TC fully synthetic low ash
there is a small hole in the base of the rave valve, less than 1/8 in diameter, make sure that is not clogged
if looks in your picture like the top of the bellows is securely in the groove of the exhaust piston (the black plastic piece) make sure that the bottom of the bellows is attached properly in the lower groove.
back the red caps out to flush

you can get the parts from this site - click PARTS at the top of the page.
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/seadooforums/Seadoo_oem/Seadoo_PWC.asp?Type=13&A=60&B=5

you can also try parkeryamaha or partspitstop

did you remember to put the O-ring back on the RAVE when you cleaned it and put it back together?

there is a small hole in the base of the rave valve, less than 1/8 in diameter, make sure that is not clogged
if looks in your picture like the top of the bellows is securely in the groove of the exhaust piston (the black plastic piece) make sure that the bottom of the bellows is attached properly in the lower groove.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/seadooforums/Seadoo_oem/Seadoo_PWC.asp?Type=13&A=60&B=5

also, they are not in the picture, but I'm assuming you have the springs that go on top of the plastic piston and they were installed

Rampage and Seadoosnipe - thank you for the pictures and advice. I wish i had cleaned mine last week when I replaced all the lines. I doubt if they have ever been cleaned in 15 yrs. ........another day another project......

Can the gasket be saved or isn't it worth trying?

Thanks for your feed back!! I never tried to clean them, I haven't touch them yet. I found the spring in the bottom of the seadoo. I'm guessing the spring came out some how?!?! The valve moves freely and doesn't look that bad. XPS is run in it. I will have to get a new gasket, o-ring, red screw top and that black piece that the spring sits on (see pic completely Fed). What's that piece called? Trying to find it in the manual says (exhaust valve)?

Looking at it, how do you get the rubber bellow over the lower groove and that small spring back around it? That looks like a real bitch!

I hope they carry these in their service department!

The valve itself I left in the machine with a cloth over it to stop dirt getting in until I can fix it.

Attachments

• 2011-08-26 21.45.53.jpg
    2011-08-26 21.45.53.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 206
  • 2011-08-26 21.45.35.jpg
    2011-08-26 21.45.35.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 158
Rampage and Seadoosnipe - thank you for the pictures and advice. I wish i had cleaned mine last week when I replaced all the lines. I doubt if they have ever been cleaned in 15 yrs. ........another day another project......

Can the gasket be saved or isn't it worth trying?

if the gasket is still in good shape it can be reused, you'll be able to tell from the oil pattern on it if it is leaking

The gasket was fine, no leaking, but there is a small rip in it, so will get a new one.

Do you know what that part is called? and how do you get the rubber bellow over the lower groove and that small spring back around it?

Thanks for your feed back!! I never tried to clean them, I haven't touch them yet. I found the spring in the bottom of the seadoo. I'm guessing the spring came out some how?!?! The valve moves freely and doesn't look that bad. XPS is run in it. I will have to get a new gasket, o-ring, red screw top and that black piece that the spring sits on (see pic completely Fed). What's that piece called? Trying to find it in the manual says (exhaust valve)?

Looking at it, how do you get the rubber bellow over the lower groove and that small spring back around it? That looks like a real bitch!

I hope they carry these in their service department!

The valve itself I left in the machine with a cloth over it to stop dirt getting in until I can fix it.

yes, the melted plastic piece in your 2nd pic is #9 in the diagram called the exhaust valve.
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche..._oem/Seadoo_PWC.asp?Type=18&A=60&B=5&Action=O

is that ring on the right of your first pic a rubber o-ring or a spring ring? Stock, there is nothing around the base of the o-ring (note nothing in the parts diagram) some people put rubber o-rings or small zip ties. I don't put anything around the base on mine and never had a problem.

the valve on the rear of the engine you can fully assemble in your hand then stick in in one piece (excluding the spring and the black cap with the red button).

the valve on the front you have to put the gasket on the rave and put it in the slot, then attach the bellows to the base and put the bolts in. Then you screw the plastic exhaust valve onto the top of the rave. the bellows will usually seat itself in the groove on the exhaust valve once you get it screwed tight. you may have to help it a bit. the hardest part is then getting the spring ring around the top of the bellows, that takes some practice.

The o-ring I was asking about in the prior post is #4 in the diagram. I'm betting that is what caused your valve to melt. when i got my skis, one of the valves was stuck and melted like yours and there were just remnants of the o-ring remaining.

can't tell from the picture if the inside of your bellows is melted and needs replaced or if that is just oil

yes, the melted plastic piece in your 2nd pic is #9 in the diagram called the exhaust valve.
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche..._oem/Seadoo_PWC.asp?Type=18&A=60&B=5&Action=O

is that ring on the right of your first pic a rubber o-ring or a spring ring? Stock, there is nothing around the base of the o-ring (note nothing in the parts diagram) some people put rubber o-rings or small zip ties. I don't put anything around the base on mine and never had a problem.

the valve on the rear of the engine you can fully assemble in your hand then stick in in one piece (excluding the spring and the black cap with the red button).

the valve on the front you have to put the gasket on the rave and put it in the slot, then attach the bellows to the base and put the bolts in. Then you screw the plastic exhaust valve onto the top of the rave. the bellows will usually seat itself in the groove on the exhaust valve once you get it screwed tight. you may have to help it a bit. the hardest part is then getting the spring ring around the top of the bellows, that takes some practice.

The o-ring I was asking about in the prior post is #4 in the diagram. I'm betting that is what caused your valve to melt. when i got my skis, one of the valves was stuck and melted like yours and there were just remnants of the o-ring remaining.

can't tell from the picture if the inside of your bellows is melted and needs replaced or if that is just oil

It's number 9 in the diagram, but on the service manual it is number 20 lol. Thanks for looking into it!

that small ring is the small spring ring that goes on the bottom of the bellow which goes over the metal frame that is attached to the block. That is the one I'm worried about getting back on, not a lot of room to work. This rave one came off the one closes to the back, so I'm guess it is the first one you are mentioning there.

I will grab new o-rings where ever they are needed.

It is just oil, haven't cleaned it yet, but looks all fine, just the exhaust valve is done.

Thx again!

It's number 9 in the diagram, but on the service manual it is number 20 lol. Thanks for looking into it!

that small ring is the small spring ring that goes on the bottom of the bellow which goes over the metal frame that is attached to the block. That is the one I'm worried about getting back on, not a lot of room to work. This rave one came off the one closes to the back, so I'm guess it is the first one you are mentioning there.

I will grab new o-rings where ever they are needed.

It is just oil, haven't cleaned it yet, but looks all fine, just the exhaust valve is done.

Thx again!

try putting the small spring clamp on the bellows BEFORE you attach the bellows to the housing, then just roll it down into the groove. I think that approach will work for you

I've gotten them from this site and from parkeryamaha in the past, but would suggest just buying a sheet of gasket material at the auto parts and making them yourself

try putting the small spring clamp on the bellows BEFORE you attach the bellows to the housing, then just roll it down into the groove. I think that approach will work for you

Thanks so much Bigjake!! I had to make a long drive, but got the exhaust valve, extra gaskets rings etc. Man the main rave valve is a pain in the ass to clean. Lots of carb cleaner and brass brush 45 min of scrubbing. Got it cleaned as best i can. Got everything back together in like 5 min., very easy. To put the big spring on around the exhaust valve and bellow, stuck the handle of a fly swatter between the bellow and the metal casing so it couldn't bend in, and popped the spring on in seconds lol. Thanks a bunch for your help! Much appreciated!

Back