How to remove a STARTER - 787

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thumper3322

I can't seem to post in the HOW TO section so thought I would write this here. I have read many posts of people having trouble removing their starter. I can only help with the 787 engines. I can literally remove and reinstall a starter under 10 min. First time took me over 2 hours just to get it out. Hope this helps some out there. Pictures aren't really needed. Here is how:

Tools:
5mm short hex socket
6mm long hex socket
6mm allen key
10mm socket
13mm socket
extensions
socket wrench
electric/power socket wrench
small mirror
L = You are on the left side of the ski (looking to the front of the ski)
R= You are on the right side of the ski (looking to the front of the ski)

Procedure: Edit: Disconnect negative wire from your battery

1. Remove plastic air box cover (L)

2. Using 5mm short hex socket remove 6 bolts that hold the plastic base to the carbs. I loosen with socket wrench, then use electric wrench to take them out. (L)

3. Remove the plastic air box completely (L)

4. Put the mirror on the side of the hull facing the starter so you can see the red cable (L)

5. 10mm socket with a small extension helps, remove the red positive cable. You can see the nut attached to the starter holding the cable using the mirror (L)

6. 6mm allen key you can see the bolt holding the back of the starter thru the mirror. Remove the bolt, make sure you are loosening it, not tightening it. Being upside down via a mirror you might get confused lol. This bolt is the biggest pain, but doing it this way takes less than a 1 min. (L)

7. 6mm long hex socket, remove the black negative cable on the starter (you can do this after it is removed, but easier when it is in), Careful it isn't that long. (R)

8. 13mm socket and extensions, remove the nut holding on the fuel line support (if you have this nut). It is attached to the top bolt that holds the starter to the housing. (R)

9. 6mm long hex loosen the top bolt a couple turns. Don't take it off, just loosen it for now. (R)

10. 6mm long hex remove bottom bolt holding the starter to the housing. You have to feel for it. I put it on the socket wrench holding the tip of it and feel for the bolt. Once you have it in (insert rude remarks here lol), loosen and remove. This one isn't that long as well, so don't drop it. (R)

11. 6mm long hex remove the top bolt, you don't have to take it right out, just so the starter is off of it. Once it is loosened I use the electrical socket wrench to turn it the rest of the way, as it is a longer bolt. (R)

12. Pull starter back and towards the right side of the hull and slide it to the back to pull it out. (R)

Putting it back in:

Reverse order of course with a few exceptions:

1. Before putting it back in, reattach the negative cable, as once it is in it is a real pain to get to that bolt. I have it loose and tighten it after all the other bolts are tight. This gives it room to move if needed. (R)

2. Edit: When installing the main 3 bolts, for the 2 main ones to the housing (6mm long hex socket) (R) tighten them down. Then go to the other side of the machine (L) and install the back (upside down) bolt by hand use the mirror to see (6mm allen key) and tighten down.

3. If the back bolt that goes through the bracket doesn't match up with the hole so you can't get the bolt in, you have to take off the bracket and drill it out a bit. I have talked to another member here and he has come across this issue with aftermarket starters not being as long as OEM. SO make sure the front 2 starter bolts are tight before the back supporting bracket bolt.

4. Reattach positive cable and nut 10mm (L)

5. Torque everything down (R and L)

6. Install air box cover (5mm short hex socket) (L)

7. Done!

There will be a lot of going back and forth from one side of the ski to the other, but makes it much easier I have found.

Hope this helps at least one person, then it makes it worth while.

Cheers and here's to less painful starter pulling lol.

Thumper

Last edited by a moderator:
great post thumper. definitely getting bookmarked. :thumbsup:

I'll just double all the tools since I drop everything under the hull.

LOL...thx.. Use this method and you probably won't drop tools.

I had my starter in and out over 6 times so perfected it. Stupid circlip went, figured I would try my OEM starter again with a make shift circlip. Well that starter is completely shot. Had to come back out, put in sbt one again with a make shift circlip. That worked for a bit, then the wire got crushed enough it didn't work, pulled again, used a thicker wire and back in. hope this one holds. Have to order parts for my OEM, but inside of it is pretty shot.

Hey thump
Should note to remove the batterie cables so if they hit the engine with the wrench they don't ground it!
Just a thought!
Nice post BTW!

I can't seem to post in the HOW TO section so thought I would write this here. I have read many posts of people having trouble removing their starter. I can only help with the 787 engines. I can literally remove and reinstall a starter under 10 min. First time took me over 2 hours just to get it out. Hope this helps some out there. Pictures aren't really needed. Here is how:

Tools:
5mm short hex socket
6mm long hex socket
6mm allen key
10mm socket
13mm socket
extensions
socket wrench
electric/power socket wrench
small mirror
L = You are on the left side of the ski (looking to the front of the ski)
R= You are on the right side of the ski (looking to the front of the ski)

Procedure:

1. Remove plastic air box cover (L)

2. Using 5mm short hex socket remove 6 bolts that hold the plastic base to the carbs. I loosen with socket wrench, then use electric wrench to take them out. (L)

3. Remove the plastic air box completely (L)

4. Put the mirror on the side of the hull facing the starter so you can see the red cable (L)

5. 10mm socket with a small extension helps, remove the red positive cable. You can see the nut attached to the starter holding the cable using the mirror (L)

6. 6mm allen key you can see the bolt holding the back of the starter thru the mirror. Remove the bolt, make sure you are loosening it, not tightening it. Being upside down via a mirror you might get confused lol. This bolt is the biggest pain, but doing it this way takes less than a 1 min. (L)

7. 6mm long hex socket, remove the black negative cable on the starter (you can do this after it is removed, but easier when it is in), Careful it isn't that long. (R)

8. 13mm socket and extensions, remove the nut holding on the fuel line support (if you have this nut). It is attached to the top bolt that holds the starter to the housing. (R)

9. 6mm long hex loosen the top bolt a couple turns. Don't take it off, just loosen it for now. (R)

10. 6mm long hex remove bottom bolt holding the starter to the housing. You have to feel for it. I put it on the socket wrench holding the tip of it and feel for the bolt. Once you have it in (insert rude remarks here lol), loosen and remove. This one isn't that long as well, so don't drop it. (R)

11. 6mm long hex remove the top bolt, you don't have to take it right out, just so the starter is off of it. Once it is loosened I use the electrical socket wrench to turn it the rest of the way, as it is a longer bolt. (R)

12. Pull starter back and towards the right side of the hull and slide it to the back to pull it out. (R)

Putting it back in:

Reverse order of course with a few exceptions:

1. Before putting it back in, reattach the negative cable, as once it is in it is a real pain to get to that bolt. I have it loose and tighten it after all the other bolts are tight. This gives it room to move if needed. (R)

2. When installing the main 3 bolts, for the 2 main ones to the housing (6mm long hex socket), leave them loose a couple of turns so the starter can move (R). Then go to the other side of the machine (L) and install the back (upside down) bolt by hand use the mirror to see (6mm allen key). Turn it in just before snug.

3. Tighten the main 2 bolts that attach to the housing first (R), then go back and tighten the back one (L). This will save you some aggravation trying to get the back one in if it is off a bit after the 2 housing bolts are tight.

4. Reattach positive cable and nut 10mm (L)

5. Torque everything down (R and L)

6. Install air box cover (5mm short hex socket) (L)

7. Done!

There will be a lot of going back and forth from one side of the ski to the other, but makes it much easier I have found.

Hope this helps at least one person, then it makes it worth while.

Cheers and here's to less painful starter pulling lol.

Thumper

Cheers for this... I was just reaching for a 6" hole saw for the bottom of the hull !!

Oh man why couldn't I have seen this a month ago! I went at it alone having never worked on a ski before.... My procedure was more like - figure out you can remove the airbox a half hour later...... stop what you're doing and drive to store to buy a hex socket....drop said hex socket into depths of hull......

Thanks for posting.

Sorry to bring this back from the depths, but I had to! GREAT HOW TO Thumper!! Thank you, this saved my knuckles, chest, fingers, arms, and body alot of pain from trying to figure out the best way to get at this dang starter!(without losing all my tools under the hull) Should be a sticky in the how to section!

Sorry to bring this back from the depths, but I had to! GREAT HOW TO Thumper!! Thank you, this saved my knuckles, chest, fingers, arms, and body alot of pain from trying to figure out the best way to get at this dang starter!(without losing all my tools under the hull) Should be a sticky in the how to section!

Glad it helped you out! I have used it myself since writing to remember what tools are needed again.

Hi. Is the hex bolt in step 10 near where the black cable connected?? I am not sure where the "bottom" of the starter is? lol

There is one on the bottom to the rear underside, One on the bottom ear and one on the top ear. the ground cable is separate and not one of the bolts that holds the starter in on a 787.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back