how to change your wear ring without removing your impellar!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rampage

Premium Member
Premium Member
Read this on another site, and thought this is great.

I just copied and pasted...but from reading all the replies, after you put your pump in the freezer you can pretty much tap the ring right out. Also they talk about flipping it around and using it twice.

"it's the Freezer Method! I've used it several times now... it works great. Tip also that i learned from someone on the boards... you can use your wear ring twice.... just flip it over! yes it works... you can have your doubts, but please trust me.

Nothing like having pictures do all the explaining

in most normal wear circumstances this will work no problem. However if damage has been done to the wear ring excessively, you will still have a disruption in water flow and may experience SOME symtoms, but definitely improved over what it previously was."

View attachment ring.bmp

View attachment r3.bmp

View attachment r2.bmp

I have been doing this method for years...I have posted it on out forum too lots of time. I never pull the impeller unless I have to.

Karl

I had no idea it could be done this way. Have you ever flipped your wear ring around the other way to get more use from it

I like this. Will be warm enough to start working in my garage again soon. Definitely will try this approach.

I have not done this and in my opinion, it avoids one of the biggest reasons to pull the pump; bearing inspection. If you've take the time to pull the pump to do a wearing ring, don't you think it's wise to check them? On occasion, the wearing ring could have worn to the degree, that the shaft developed a wobble. If this has happened, then you may have lost the clearnance on the shaft. Putting a new ring in with a bad set of bearings, will only cause gouging in the new ring, causing you to buy a new ring and replace the bearings anyway.

My idea is, if you take something off to work, upgrade or replace, you should inspect every piece that is associated with what your repairing. It's kinda like the old saying, "do it once, do it right and you won't have to do it again"...

I have not done this and in my opinion, it avoids one of the biggest reasons to pull the pump; bearing inspection. If you've take the time to pull the pump to do a wearing ring, don't you think it's wise to check them? On occasion, the wearing ring could have worn to the degree, that the shaft developed a wobble. If this has happened, then you may have lost the clearnance on the shaft. Putting a new ring in with a bad set of bearings, will only cause gouging in the new ring, causing you to buy a new ring and replace the bearings anyway.

My idea is, if you take something off to work, upgrade or replace, you should inspect every piece that is associated with what your repairing. It's kinda like the old saying, "do it once, do it right and you won't have to do it again"...

good point. Cant you feel if the bearings are worn? Wont there be some play or noise or anything?

good point. Cant you feel if the bearings are worn? Wont there be some play or noise or anything?

Not always. I build transmissions, so I deal with torrinton and caged needle bearings everyday. You would be suprised, sometimes they feel good and sound good but when I get them apart they look like crap.

Not always. I build transmissions, so I deal with torrinton and caged needle bearings everyday. You would be suprised, sometimes they feel good and sound good but when I get them apart they look like crap.

Yes, your correct. The clearances are very small. The most important is the clearance at the seal. If the shaft is past the few thousandths thats allowed, you won't know that by just trying to move it by hand.

BTW MoteC, I grew up in Goose Creek.......... It's a small world.

Yes, your correct. The clearances are very small. The most important is the clearance at the seal. If the shaft is past the few thousandths thats allowed, you won't know that by just trying to move it by hand.

BTW MoteC, I grew up in Goose Creek.......... It's a small world.

Very small world. :thumbsup:

Ive been in Sville for the last 22 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back