How much should a drive shaft move, forward/back?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire3456

I have a 2001 sportster LE w/single 951.

My Questions:

How much "forward/backward" movement should there be in a drive shaft?
How can I get the engine to the correct depth?
I know there is an alignment tool that I've read about. I'm looking to order that, but that seems to measure the correct angle (which I DO want to also do).

My Details:

I bought this boat (nightmare) used. The previous owner said the motor had been rebuilt. It did start right up and ran smoothly late winter when I looked at it (out of water). It seemed to run fine, last summer, for a month. Then the Drive Shaft splines stripped on the PTO side. (in the middle of the Mississippi)

After checking out everything from the engine back, I found that the drive shaft had no bumper on the PTO end. I'm hoping that was the problem (along with total neglect from the previous owner). When I took everything apart, the prop shaft and bearings had been rusted and pitted terribly. I took the complete pump housing to a dealer because it had been so rusted I couldn't start to replace all that) So I replaced EVERTHING (but the housings).

I had everything together. While pushing back the new support ring and new carbon seal, to insert the "C" clip, the drive shaft moved backwards, maybe 1/2 inch, more or less. I was able to put the "C" clip on just fine. It just seemed like it was a lot of movement, because what had originally been the problem was the stripped splines on the PTO end of the drive shaft. (I replaced the drive shaft w/bumpers, and PTO). I had everything replaced in the pump housing (shaft, bearings, etc).

So everything from the engine back, is new except the housing. I don't want the splines to strip again. Then I remember the guy who sold it to me said the engine was rebuilt. (It was NOT rebuilt, and if so, it was installed rather 1/2 assed and a cylinder had rather low compression but within tolerance).
I've read quite a few posts, talking about Engine alignment and depth. Now I'm thinking that my Engine Depth may be off.

See Questions at the Top!

Thanks for any advice or help!!!

Those rubber dampers get squished all the time,,,their presence or non-presence has nothing to do with splines,,,that usually occurs from engine misalignment…or a blocked pump and powering the motor through the blockage

My drive shaft only moves back and forth less than 1/4". When I pumped a little grease in the PTO it "inflated" the rubber boot and pushed the shaft toward the stern. When I replaced the bumpers they were pretty deformed/compressed.

I am the second owner of this boat, the first owner was a work mate and we are both engineers at an automotive supplier. Really not much room around the screws for the engine to be installed more than ~1/8" off front to back, unless they removed the engine mounts from the hull.

Mine has a couple of shims between the engine mounts and the engine on both sides. I have always been very careful to put the shims back where they came from.

Thanks for all the input!! I know, for next time, (hopefully there won't be one?) to check the alignment before I install the driveshaft. Because I have completely finished assembly of the project, I decided to "hope" the engine wasn't removed and just run the boat 'as is'.
I've had the boat out several times, for hours at a time. So far, so good. No vibrations. No obvious signs of misalignment. I've learned a lot thanks to all the input.
THANK-YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back