Shop Discount Sea-Doo Parts

How much play in the drive shaft is acceptable?

Water Crafts
1994 seadoo spx
See my video, the carbon seal looks good so I don’t want to have to pull all this out if this normal play. Bare in mind this wouldn’t be possible to do if the engine were in place so the amount of movement would be very small if the splines were being held in place.

AKnarrowback

Water Crafts
94 xp
94 sp
94 gtx
It only takes two seconds to loosen that rear hose clamp, do that and pull the hose/seal assembly off of the shaft.

The hose clamps onto a sleeve that is formed into the hull and sticks out inside for the hose to attach to, this sleeve can crack. It's worth doing a quick inspection of the sleeve, give it a wiggle. It should be solid. It it is broken do not panic, they make a kit to fix this scenario.

The bearing carrier/seal assembly is meant to move around. Driveshafts can get a little bend, very little, and still function. The motor has a good bit of wiggle as well. Both use that flex in the seal. The ends of the drive shaft have a slight ball shape to allow for any wiggle, it is not locked in solid straight at either end.

Just for your knowledge. That is not a carbon seal. It is the "original" style seal (actually not even the original). In my opinion the better of the two.

mikidymac

Staff member
Water Crafts
2003 GTI
2001 XP
1996 XP
1996 HX
1991 Superjet
2001 Superjet
That’s s carrier bearing seal. The movement is normal without the engine.

On a side note you need to pull the pump and driveshaft to align the engine.

You should not be reinstalling the engine without aligning it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

SPONSORED LINKS

Usergroup

Administrator Moderator Premium Member