How much play in the drive shaft is acceptable?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

One1

See my video, the carbon seal looks good so I don’t want to have to pull all this out if this normal play. Bare in mind this wouldn’t be possible to do if the engine were in place so the amount of movement would be very small if the splines were being held in place.

IF there is a pump / impeller on the other end of that drive shaft you’ve got problems

It only takes two seconds to loosen that rear hose clamp, do that and pull the hose/seal assembly off of the shaft.

The hose clamps onto a sleeve that is formed into the hull and sticks out inside for the hose to attach to, this sleeve can crack. It's worth doing a quick inspection of the sleeve, give it a wiggle. It should be solid. It it is broken do not panic, they make a kit to fix this scenario.

The bearing carrier/seal assembly is meant to move around. Driveshafts can get a little bend, very little, and still function. The motor has a good bit of wiggle as well. Both use that flex in the seal. The ends of the drive shaft have a slight ball shape to allow for any wiggle, it is not locked in solid straight at either end.

Just for your knowledge. That is not a carbon seal. It is the "original" style seal (actually not even the original). In my opinion the better of the two.

That’s s carrier bearing seal. The movement is normal without the engine.

On a side note you need to pull the pump and driveshaft to align the engine.

You should not be reinstalling the engine without aligning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back