How much cavitation a little damage on impeller can do

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

joaquin12345

Premium Member
Premium Member
So I had been dealing with my seadoo cavitating now for some time. I had replaced the wear ring, carbon seal, and low and behold it was my impeller the whole time. I didnt think that was the case since really it was only a few dings that I had noticed. I was cavitating off the start a WOT up until 25mph then it would drive smooth and crisp. So I added some pictures for you guys to see. I didnt want to spend $250 on a after market impeller and that not be my problem so I went with SBT's impeller exchange for $65 well $89 after shipping and exchange. You basically wait for theres to arrive then send your old one Takes about 1 week to recieve it.

Attachments

• seadoo impeller 3.JPG
    seadoo impeller 3.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 223
  • seadoo impeller 2.JPG
    seadoo impeller 2.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 216
  • seadoo impeller 1.JPG
    seadoo impeller 1.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 206
  • seadoo impeller 4.JPG
    seadoo impeller 4.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 192
It is amazing how little damage it takes...

It is worse when the damage is where the blade is bent up or down, not just chipped on the side.

When it is an up and down concern, the water is literally pushed and pulled as the blade spins. This creates issues as it is fighting itself and in some cases moves the shaft back and forth depending on the degree of damage.

I just picked up a rock or two last night and now have to rip the pump out. Well, remove it I guess, maybe "rip" is too harsh a word. It now cavitates harshly in sport mode, but seems fine (its not) in touring mode slow starts. Happened at the far end of the lake, so I consider myself lucky to get home.

Well, off to look for the replace your impeller thread!

Sadly, it happens pretty often from all I have read. It is like riding a bike. There are those that have fallen and those that will fall....

It happens... If you can do it yourself that's great because your going to do it again if your own one for any length of time. I'm on atleast 6...

How little damage? Man, your old one looks beat up to me... the leading edge of 1 blade is even bent pretty badly! Wow!

Put it this way, if that was an airplane propeller in that bad of shape the plane would not be able to get off the runway and it'd shake like an SOB.

What you think is little damage is actually A LOT of damage. For as much as you spent on a reconditioned OEM impeller, I'd have gone with a much nicer SOLAS performance impeller... oh, I already did that's right! LOVE IT! :)

Thanks for posting the pics though, it's always interesting to see what was giving other people problems. Everybody learns from them.

- Michael

Hey Michael,

I may have asked you this before, but what pitch did you go with on that Solas? And don't you have an after market intake grate?

As long as we are talking about Solas, I am interested in some info.

I own two skis that I do not think we benefit from upgraded water intakes. However, an upgraded impeller may help.

What are your thoughts about upgrading to a performance Solas impeller? Further, I have done some looking and I am not finding many that fit my ski applications due to my year. Finding LOTS of many for older skis, not too much for my 2009 and my 2010...

Hey Michael,

I may have asked you this before, but what pitch did you go with on that Solas? And don't you have an after market intake grate?

I put in a Solas 13/18 Concord impeller, and an Aquavein R&D intake grate (drives like it's on rails!), and filled my ride plate bolt recesses with marine epoxy sanded flush. Love the performance! I still believe that I could turn a Solas 14/19 Concord impeller (recommended for the RXP 215 hp models), though it might not perform as well with a heavy load of 3 adults on it I've yet to have a single passenger go riding with me so I don't see why it'd be a problem running the 14/19 pitch impeller instead of this 13/18 pitch..... :-/

This winter I think I'm going to go ahead and put an R&D 2.5 degree wedge in the pump, should help to "loosen up" the ride just a little bit with a full fuel cell it definitely plows thru the water too much needs a little "up" to compensate for that bow weight. My Sidewinder Jet Boat has always had a wedge in it's Berkely pump and it performs like a rocket ship, I can only surmise it'd help the RXT out a lot also.

- Michael

I have read a few posts about the "wedge". I am curious as to where this mounts to accomplish a better ride.

My 09 is a wet ride and would be more comfortable if the bow rode slightingly higher. I was looking a splash guards but would prefer the wedge if it would do what I am after.

I assume the wedge changes the angle of the thrust? I ride with my Trim/Tab adjustment with it in the bow high mode and it still isn't enough.

Love the ski, it is so strong and rides fantastic in all waves I have ever encountered.

It's a wedge... it goes between your steering nozzle and the pump housing, adds fixed up-angle to your nozzle which in turn causes your hull to be slightly lifted higher as your accellerate and cruise. Right now without a wedge we're pushing our watercraft straight forward with no lift at all (except what the hull itself generates as it moves thru the water; you may have a power trim nozzle I do not though unfortunately), we're "driving" the hull directly forward... with a wedge, we'd be lifting the hull just a little bit from the pump as we push it forward causing a bit less of the hull to be in the water from the bow to the stern... every inch of wet surface causes drag. Too much up can cause handling problems and will really beat you up in rough waters (waves will be landing on the flatter portion of the hull). Even if you have a power trim nozzle a ~2 degree wedge will still improve your performance and ride. My Sidewinder has both a wedge and a power nozzle, the 2 actually compliment each other the wedge guides the waterflow into an upward arc before it get's into the nozzle which I may then have trimmed up (for higher speeds on good water) or down (for better pulling power when pulling skiers or kneeboarders or for rougher water conditions to put more of the hull's V into the waves).

- Michael

- Michael

I assumed that is exactly how it worked. A permanent angle if you will.

In my case, have the trim option I think I would gain substantially. I can always lower the angle but i am at the top right now with no more to gain without adding the wedge.

Do you have a parts supplier that you are happy with?

Having an issue finding parts that fit my 09 RXT-X. Finding many for older models...

Again, thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

-Michael

I am seeing wedges that list a steering extension and some that do not. I get the concept of why it MAY be needed, but do not know if it is required.

In the case of your RXT did you find it was needed or simply installed the wedge itself?

Joe, if you get a wedge...make sure it has the steering extention. I have a 2* wedge on mine...it does get more hull outa the water..but give a "squirrely kinda ride at speed...throw chop in the mix...not exactly a comfy ride. So...I got some skegs added.

Now..you have VTS?...Cool....wish I did, not something I'm likely to have on this ski any time soon. What'll a wedge do for you....it'll smooth out the path the water has to travel.....picture a 1' length of pipe coupled to a 90*bend coupled to another 1' length of pipe. Now...picture 3"lenght of pipe coupled to a 45* bend coupled to another 45* bend coupled to a 3" length of pipe. The distance the water had to travel is the same through both pipes but the one with the two bends is an easier transition from one end to the other.

This is the reason why some early rxp's used a wedge in addition to their vts. Some claimed speed increases...some did not.

Never heard one way or the other that you'd have a "drier" ride because of the wedge.

Red, thanks for the info on the steering extension.

Don't mind spending some money, just want to do it wisely.

For anyone following this post and has the same ski as my 09 RXT-X 255...

I have been told by three dealers that the SRZ-CD-13/18 Solas Concord Impeller is the correct impeller. But after SERIOUS digging and direct contact with Solas they have confirmed that this information is WRONG.

The SRZ-CD-13/18 Solas Concord Impeller is for the 215hp model. With the 255hp model you need a SRZ-CD-15/21 Solas Concord Impeller. Ensure you get the "Z" version, not the "X" version. This is important as they changed the impeller a bit in 2012 due to a set-back difference. The early Z version (designed from the X version) allowed for water to be pumped directly in the Sea Doo hull. Thus sinking the ski if you kept running the ski. The Z version corrects the offset and puts the prop back into the same position as the OEM prop.

Hi CJ

Have you found a correct Solas for the 2010 GTX? I tried to contact Solas, as I am going to upgrade and have NO idea which pitch to use.

If I am reading the chart correctly, I would use a SR-CD-12/20. This sound about right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a wedge for my RXT yet Joe... it's something I'm thinking about adding over this winter. I've been told you can adjust your steering cable and skip the steering extension rod, but I don't know from 1st hand experience about that yet. I believe if you don't have VTS you can skip the steering extension and just adjust your steering cable a small amount and it's ok, but if you have VTS then you HAVE to go with the steering extension rod because there isn't enough adjustment in the steering cable to get the nozzle straight otherwise. Hope this helps.

R&D (and RIVA also I believe) recommends installing a performance intake grate BEFORE installing a pump wedge, otherwise they suggest the wedge alone will adversely affect handling. I'm guessing the R&D performance intake grate, which has much taller rails than the OEM grate, provides needed hull stability....

- Michael

I am seeing wedges that list a steering extension and some that do not. I get the concept of why it MAY be needed, but do not know if it is required.

In the case of your RXT did you find it was needed or simply installed the wedge itself?

Again, good info...

I will order my parts this week. Plan on getting the impeller, wedge, and grate in one motion. I will buy the extension as I have found JUST enough out there to say I need to have it. I do think the VTS is likely why the extension is required over a non-VTS ski.

Will instal these things early winter then take them to storage for the rest of winter. Have a few dings in y ski's from others ATTEMPTING to dock them, will fix them as well as I have ordered the gelcoat already. I no longer let people leave or enter the dock if I do not know that they know what they are doing. I put my foot in their foot-well and basically tow them to and from the immediate dock area. Not a single bruise since doing it this way.

Will look forward to summer for sure...

- Michael

For the grate, they list a newer/updated version refereed to as Pro 2. Same cost. It seems to be more aggressive then the standard version which I believe you have.

What is your opinion of the difference? If you were to buy one now, which would you get?

Pro 2 Version:
41EIw5oKosL._SS500_.jpg

Regular Version:
View attachment 15057

Attachments

• 113-95007.jpg
    113-95007.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 26
  • bookmarksite_google.gif
    bookmarksite_google.gif
    314 bytes · Views: 136
Last edited by a moderator:
The wrong picture attached. I have coorected it and now you can see the difference. Sorry about that..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back