Hour Meter Install

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

weaselman

Was contacted by Mercury and my boat cannot be equipped with the Smart Monitor. It is a 2001 Utopia 185 with the 240hp EFI Mercury.

However I would like to install an hour meter in one of the empty spots on my dash. I have done a search on installing hour meters and just wanted to make sure that I attached the hot wire to the purple wire that feeds the fuel/oil gauge.

Also my gauges are the VDO Cockpit Royale Series. They don't make an hour meter is there anything that is close to that product line?

Only problem with hooking to the purple wire is that the gauge will count time any time the key is on... and not just when the engine is running. I know some hour meters will wrap around a spark wire, and it looks for the ignition.

As far as the type of gauge to use... that's up to you.

I picked up one of the little digital ones from Ebay that wraps around the plug wire. Wire tied it in just above the cylinder head and works great. Can see it every time i pop the hood. Was $12 shipped and install took about 5 minutes.

I did not want it to clutter the dash.. I take a look whenever turing on and off the battery, but really only need to know hours once or twice a month.

can you post the link on ebay where you got that meter.

Just search for Motorcycle hour meter on ebay... there are hunders of them... then even have colors... yellow, red, blue, black/..

I have about 12 hours on mine now.... next step is to read the engine hours from ecm and then I will know total hours. Amyone know of a way to do that without having to take to the stealership?

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back