High ridin!....

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadoosnipe

Premium Member
Premium Member
Well, after over a month of repairs being made to my 97 Challenger, new head cover, replaced gasket on cylinders and had to remove tuned exhaust to repair water leaks. Then, rebuilt the carbs, breaking a bolt in rotary, so ended up removing exhaust manifold, breaking another bolt, but in the end, drilled out and re-tapped the 8mm and got it all back together, then, took it out today. It was a bit windy and the seas were about 3 to 5 feet. I nosed it into the bank for a spell while I adjusted the carbs, etc.....
Then, when I was satisified, I moved away from the bank and at idle, nailed it. It bout jumped out of the water!....man, I could only imagine what those 4-TEC's are like. Hell, my engine is powerful enough!...
I took it out on the other side of the break wall and was only doing about 5 to 6k rpm and was jumping waves, I know a good 6 feet in the air.....man, was it fun. It beat the hell out of me, but it was fun!....
Came in back up river to my house, pulled the plugs.....they read out nice and did compression, got 155 and 158....so, I'm pleased with my work. Patience ( won't tell you about the wrench I threw in the woods, pissed) and a little TLC while working on your stuff, pays off in the end with a smooth running motor!...............:cheers:
Now, who wants to race?...................................

I am glad to hear it worked out for you Louis sounds like you and family will be having alot more fun this summer. even considering the bolt isues it seems like you made out very good.

Thank you.....

Today is my 21st birthday and the kids and I are going to celebrate by going out on the boat for the afternoon. Wow, what a way to celebrate!.
Oh, BTW, it's my birthday and I can lie about my age if I want to!

Great time!....

Well, I had a great time. The girls had a blast!.....I found my water regulator has a blown bellows, made a few adjustments on the carbs...but all in all, she has roared back to life............God, I love Helen Ready (I am woman, here me roar)............LOL

low ridin

Hey Louis I finally got to take my boat out today it has been a couple of months since I have. Well it went like this, it would not come up on plain for some reason I was puzelled it stalled and started back up it was like it was not geting enough fuel. after it died a couple of times battery was dead. got it home and found battery has a dead cell do you think battery was causing this problem? I sure am glad I had two paddles and a friend to help me get back in. What a day. :confused:

hmmmmm.

Robin, do you have the accelerator pumps on your carbs.....that's exactly what it sounds like. Either out of adjustment or the diaphragm gone...I didn't think they were used beyond the 96's, but I may be wrong.

Thanks tinko.....

I should be gettin tore up from the floor up right now, but I'm too dedicated to you guys.....there's just to many problems for me to just left un-answered. If it weren't for Robin.........I'd be way behind!....LOL
I had a great day for my Bday.....took the kids and boat out on the waves and did some boat jumpin!..........man, 85 degrees outside...coudn't beat it!

Happy Happy B'Day Louis,:cheers:
great fun jumpin those waves, build up the confidence and we will be getting 10 foot of air before long. Hows the back?:)
Glad to hear you and the rest of the family had a good time.
The 4-tec's don't enjoy the weight advantage we have, love the rotax.:agree:
catchya later

Day 2..........

The back was o.k. yesterday........but, today, taking it out in the Bay to the trailer.....I got beat up pretty bad. We got a front moving through, but hey, it was like riding a broco bull!..............:rofl:

hey when you guys jump the boats do you back off on the throttle? i thought i read somewhere that some nut or washer was breaking on the superchargers due to the excessive reving and dropping back down when you come out of the water. any truth to that?

............good question..

That's a good question. There are some here with the supercharged boats, mine is naturally aspirated. But I can tell you this, the 4-TEC engines have a rev limiter that keep the engines from free wheeling, or going over their design. I can see the chargers speeding up but the chargers are designed with slippage to take up for this.
If it were me, I'd probably back off the throttle a bit, in anticipation. I do find that, when jumping a wave, I anticipate my speed and distance so that my landing is on the down side of the next wave. It takes a little practice and it seems what worked today, won't work tomorrow because the wind and the waves seem to change from day to day.
But in general, I do believe I'm feathering the throttle a lot when jumping in rough water............
Thanks for the question. I'll be waiting to see if some of the SC boaters jump in here..........:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back