High Idle and impeller rattling

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

petejax

I'm a new PWC owner. Have owned boats for 6 years, but never a PWC. So these might be dumb questions.

Bought a used 2004 GTX 4-tec. When you run the craft out of the water, on the hose for example when flushing, an awful rattling sound comes from what appears to be under the craft. I had it at the dealer the other day to look at something with the steering and the tech cranked it up and it made the same sound. He didn't say anything about it, so I assume it's "normal".

Took it out for the first time today and it idled fast. I felt like i was going too fast even thru the no wake zone. Idle was about 1,900 RPM at points. Got out into the river and ran it. Seemed to run OK I guess. I don't have much to compare it to and it ran close to 60 mph. Seemed to run better after warming up but that was nearly 15 minutes from start.

On the way back in, it still was idling high. Ranged anywhere from 1700 rpm to about 1,950 while trolling in thru the no wake zone. Is that normal? Seems I read in the maintenance manual that 1500 +/- 100 RPM was normal. So, even the low end of the idle is high. Can this, should this, be adjusted and how hard is it??

Normal

Seems like all your noticing is normal.
The Seadoo's rattle in the impeller is normal, for many years now. Not to worry about it. It's caused from not having any torque on the impeller blades from the water.
The idle, you can adjust that yourself to 1500, where you have obviously read that it is what it is suppose to idle at. There is an idle stop screw, at the end of your throttle cable, at the air induction manifold. In the manual, it states to set at 3k on land and 1500 on water. Since most of the machines are serviced on land, this is where the idle is adjusted. But once it's on the water, can be tweaked to fit the 1500 your looking for. It will slow down a bit.
Don't you have a reverse bucket on the craft? If so, when your at idle speed and it's still too much, you can pull back on your reverse bucktet just a bit and it'll deflect some of your forward thrust, slowing you down.
The 1503-4 TEC/4 stroke is a nice engine and if tuned well, should hit speeds close to 70..........:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back