RESTO Help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I was out on my 97 jet ski. For the first 1/4 mile I was going about 40, usually 50, then dropped to 30 for another 1/4 mile. By the time I got to the Boat launch it was going 5mph. I got it out of the water and started going threw everything.
- no water in the bow
- good spark plugs
- Good compression
Then I started it up, ran fine out of the water, it revel up.

Before I had it full throttle and it was slowly slowing down. Last week I had the fuel pump rebuilt by a professional with the best carb kit and he did the pump.

What could be wrong????

Was the rpm high at 5mph or was the rpm dropping with the speed? And how far open did you have the throttle? Was the engine missing at all? Did the tone or speed change at all when you let off the throttle? Was there any vibration or different sounds?

It didn't bog down, the speed dropped with the sound, the throttle was all the way in the whole time. The engine didn't miss at all . When I let off completely and hit it it would take off but slow down instantly.

Yeah definitely a fuel delivery problem. Here's the Cliffs notes run down. If you search Grey fuel lines on the web or here you'll find all the info you need.

- make sure all Grey fuel lines are gone
- replace the fuel selector
- clean or replace the fuel strainer
- if ski has sat a long time may need to clean the fuel tank pick up
- rebuild the carbs using Oem Mikuni parts ONLY. Do not skimp you'll regret it. I suggest kits from OSD Marine
- make sure carb pop offs are correct
- set the low and high carb screws to factory spec (see seadosource.com) or better yet get a free download service manual

You'll find that with these older two stroke skis as they age you'll need to educate yourself on the intricacies of keeping them going. Not hard and not expensive if you do it right but they are not a turn the key and go machine. They need constant vigil and if you do they will perform great and will be very reliable. You've come to the right place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back