Help with gauges not working on 2003 Utopia

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rlovell2008

Have two issues I'm currently fixing so going to post the second in the replies below this first to keep the pics separate.

Last year I bought a 2003 Utopia 205 and needless to say none of the gauges work at all. When the boat is off the gas gauge reads zero and when I turn it on it goes straight to full and just stays there. So I just made sure to fill up before I went out each time. I've read a lot of the posts on how to check but decided a new sender with a gauge was a cheap fix based on the age of the boat so I decided to go that route. I changed out the sending unit first which went easy. Next up was the gauge and that's where I'm pretty sure I discovered the issue which you should be able to see in the pics I added. The gauge was not original. The original gauge had a six wire plug and the last owner put in a gauge with 4 wire plug. From what I can tell he twisted the ground and sending unit wires together. He also used wire nuts on everything. Now the new gauge also uses 4 wires: ground, sender, light, and ignition. From what I can tell the sender is pink, the ground is pink with a black strip. I read that the light is the blue??? But im not sure about the ignition wire. Also not sure what the 2 wires left over would go to either so I would appreciate any help on this. Thanks

Attachments

• Hack Wiring Job.jpg
    Hack Wiring Job.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 19
  • New Fuel Gauge.jpg
    New Fuel Gauge.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 19
  • New Sending Unit.jpg
    New Sending Unit.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Original Wires.jpg
    Original Wires.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 20
The second issue is the Speed Gauge no working which I think will be another easy fix but I am unsure of the correct wiring. When I opened up the hatch to check the wiring low and behold the wires are not even connected. I have a connector with two wire and two bare wires from the sensor. Im planning to put new a new connector on both ends but not sure which wire goes to the other.

Attachments

• Speed Sensor.jpg
    Speed Sensor.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 18
The second issue is the Speed Gauge no working which I think will be another easy fix but I am unsure of the correct wiring. When I opened up the hatch to check the wiring low and behold the wires are not even connected. I have a connector with two wire and two bare wires from the sensor. Im planning to put new a new connector on both ends but not sure which wire goes to the other.

For your speedo-
In this instance, the polarity should not matter. Your speedo wheel is making an AC signal. Your gage measures the frequency and displays MPH.

1617107944664.png

Thanks Tim and AirSniper. Im heading over to my boat on Friday to finish installing a second battery and will try and hook the wires up to the Speed sensor on the back and see how it goes. Just need to figure out the gas gauge if I get this one running

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back