Help Please!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingg40386

I have a 1997 seadoo sportster single engine rotax. Last time I took the boat out on the water it would not go past half throttle, I checked prop for weeds all clear, checked all the fuses, they are ok, so I replaced the spark plugs, didnt make any difference so I pulled the air filter off, hooked the water hose up to it in the driveway and watched the throttle and choke plates move as I increased and decreased the throttle, what I noticed is that it runs great until I reach half throttle the the number one cylinder (one closest to the hull) starts popping and throwing a small flame out of it.....i called a local seadoo dealer and he said it is the computer that they are $1200 and you cant get them anymore, I didnt believe him so I took the boat out into the water again, got full plane out of it, ran great for about 15 minutes wide open then I slowed all the way down and tried to take off again and same thing only goes to half throttle, if I try to go any higher than that I can hear it popping again, didnt want to damage the piston rings so I crawled back to dock.....is there anything else I can try or has anyone else ran into the same problem? I dont have a rpm gauge, I did clean out the fuel filter screen, did clean out the air filter and change the plugs, I do have a fully charged marine battery at 12.57 volts, never had a problem starting it and no beeps, two beeps when I put the key in ( which I assume is normal since thats how its been for years and I have never had a problem)......I called seadoo dealer back and asked him why he thought it was computer since it ran great at first.....he said hes just guessing bc he has replaced four this year so far.....any help would be greatly appreciated ....sorry for the long msg but I wanted to give you as much info as possible

HI & welcome to the forum.
If I was you I would be "guessing" that I wouldn't trust that dealer ever again.......guessing doesn't fix problems.

What is the compression? Timing could be off, check it. Carbs????, Is it getting spark 100% of the time?

Go to Canadian Tire or Princess Auto. Buy a compression tester around $30 or so. Remove plugs (one at a time) make sure to unplug cables and put on grounding posts. Screw tester in plug hole, press start button for 3 seconds or so and record reading. The cylinders need to be fairly close say within 5 psi or so of each other. Anything below 130 psi requires top end rebuild. Below 110 or 120 requires full rebuild I believe? Do a search to get exact numbers. New engine is 150 psi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back