Help please...'97 GTI bombardier no power

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

97GTIRyder

Over the years I have found loads of useful information from these forums and more. I appreciate any information that can point me in the right direction. I recently have found info to help with the repair of my wear ring. I'm super thankful for any input I get.

To sum up my spring-summer.....I had an issue with water coming in through a type of intake tube. The tube came off the fitting and took on a lot of water. I was able to get the water blown out and got back on the water. Then the wear ring had to be replaced. Then back on the water. Worked great! Then, yesterday I went to go out, it started fine. I cruised down the channel and when I got to the lake, hit the gas and it died. It hasn't made a beep since.

In trying to diagnose the problem, I tried to charge the battery and see if I could get a beep.... Nothing. In reading some of the posts I found , I started looking around. I came across a positive cable that had come loose from the starter Relay. I also found that the ebox was full of water. Yikes! I replaced the relay and I was able jump test. The engine cranks...still no beeps. I can't get anything at all.

I'm wondering if my next step is to replace the mpem. I did read that if the ebox gets water in it, the ski needs to be serviced? All connections cleaned and dielectric grease applied.? All connections I checked still had grease, which led me to believe that something in the mpem might have been damaged or fried. I guess I would need to know if I should look at the mpem or key next, or maybe there's something else I should look at first....

Thank you in advance,

Jason

Is anyone able to help me out with this? I've gotten pretty familiar with working on the ski over the years. This one has me stumped.

Check your fuses. Front and rear ebox. If you had water in the rear ebox you’ve blown a fuse. If water got into your stator you will continue to blow fuses. There are 2 fuses on your mpem in the front and 1 in the rear box

Over the years I have found loads of useful information from these forums and more. I appreciate any information that can point me in the right direction. I recently have found info to help with the repair of my wear ring. I'm super thankful for any input I get.

To sum up my spring-summer.....I had an issue with water coming in through a type of intake tube. The tube came off the fitting and took on a lot of water. I was able to get the water blown out and got back on the water. Then the wear ring had to be replaced. Then back on the water. Worked great! Then, yesterday I went to go out, it started fine. I cruised down the channel and when I got to the lake, hit the gas and it died. It hasn't made a beep since.

In trying to diagnose the problem, I tried to charge the battery and see if I could get a beep.... Nothing. In reading some of the posts I found , I started looking around. I came across a positive cable that had come loose from the starter Relay. I also found that the ebox was full of water. Yikes! I replaced the relay and I was able jump test. The engine cranks...still no beeps. I can't get anything at all.

I'm wondering if my next step is to replace the mpem. I did read that if the ebox gets water in it, the ski needs to be serviced? All connections cleaned and dielectric grease applied.? All connections I checked still had grease, which led me to believe that something in the mpem might have been damaged or fried. I guess I would need to know if I should look at the mpem or key next, or maybe there's something else I should look at first....

Thank you in advance,

Jason

I just solved a similar problem (that I spent like 8 hours on) - my box with the Relay in it was full of water and my positive had corroded off as well. Long story short, after fixing my broken positive connector it still didn't work and finally turned out to be corroded fuse in the box. Check the resistance in the power/ground wires that run through that box and/or between the MPEM and the battery - should be very low (close to 0) or you have corrosion somewhere that will create what you're seeing (or not seeing). Even if the power/ground wires between the battery and the MPEM are corroded somewhere, the voltage will look fine to the MPEM but once it turns on, the resistance in the line with corrosion will reduce the voltage delivered to the MPEM and it won't work.

Just reaching from memory here but PIN 26 on the MPEM connector is 12V and 9 and 15 I think are grounds. Wires from that back box to the front of the ski are probably good though - I'd check for resistance in the wires through those connectors in the box first.

Hope that saves you some time...good luck.

I initially was thinking fuse problem. All 4 are good. Is there any in line fuses somewhere? Thank you for the help.

I just solved a similar problem (that I spent like 8 hours on) - my box with the Relay in it was full of water and my positive had corroded off as well. Long story short, after fixing my broken positive connector it still didn't work and finally turned out to be corroded fuse in the box. Check the resistance in the power/ground wires that run through that box and/or between the MPEM and the battery - should be very low (close to 0) or you have corrosion somewhere that will create what you're seeing (or not seeing). Even if the power/ground wires between the battery and the MPEM are corroded somewhere, the voltage will look fine to the MPEM but once it turns on, the resistance in the line with corrosion will reduce the voltage delivered to the MPEM and it won't work.

Just reaching from memory here but PIN 26 on the MPEM connector is 12V and 9 and 15 I think are grounds. Wires from that back box to the front of the ski are probably good though - I'd check for resistance in the wires through those connectors in the box first.

I will look into it a bit more. I appreciate your input. Time to get out the meter.

Thanks again.

I’m thinking water got in your stator if it was high enough to get in your rear ebox. If so your stators fried.

A friend of mine mentioned he had stator problems on his all the time. I also read that if there's water in ebox, it's like touching a hot wire to everything!? Is there any way to test the stator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back