Help needed selecting a good used head for 2005 RXT 215 SC

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

dcm0123

We knew sooner or later it would have valve troubles but did not expect at 175 hours. I changed the oil once a season and heavily fogged it in the winter but it did not help.

The 2006 and earlier heads have the hollow valves which crack. Did they start using an improved version of the hollow valve in 2007 or are they now solid?

If solid valves, what year did they start using them? I am looking for durability, not speed. This is a family craft so my adult sons share it. Might consider a buying a clean 2005 head and converting to solid valves if they still use hollow.

My understanding is I can use a later model head providing I use the later rocker and pull out the oil restrictor shown in the picture below. Sea Dood (Sea Dood) provided a lot of input in a previous post. Cylinder Head Exchange

Will the heads from any year 2004 through 2017 fit this block?

Are all OEM heads from 1855, 215, 230, 255 and 260 compatible with my set up providing I do what Sea Dood stated above?

Need a head, piston and rod. Block is good. Will use stock piston and rod but re-ring all pistons, new bearings and seals.

Anything else I need to know? Over the past 40+ years I have rebuilt a lot of car engines but never a Seadoo engine.

Thank you!

1688863927314.png

Last edited:
All I can tell you is that I swapped my older worn head from my 2007 RXT 215 with a newer 2021 RXTX head, that I got from the Greenhulk store and Greg Gaddis, and it bolted right on my original 2007 block, and I been running that new head on my otherwise stock block with no issues. I am even running my stock rocker shaft and rockers. I did make sure all oil holes line up for adequate oil lubrication. I installed a new OEM head gasket. It lined up perfectly. I CAREFULLY torqued all bolts to spec. My ski is running at an estimated 310 H.P. since I installed the Ruthless race camshaft, X charger (10 psi boost) with 42 Lb. Injectors, and a maptuner custom Stage 3 tune at 9200 rpm with a target rpm of 8700. I've run the ski HARD seven times so far since that new head install, and had absolutely no issues, not with low oil, overheating, or anything. It has gobs of torque, and moves like a rocket on the water. As far as the valves, I'm not sure what they are, but I can tell you I am running the original stock valves, and they seem to be handling the heat and rpm's okay. I did install the Supertech double valve springs with titanium retainers tho, to allow the engine to spin at 9000+ rpm.

Thank you for the response. To much money to buy all the parts new.
Bought a used 2017 head on Ebay from a reputable seller with everything but the camshaft. Very little corrosion on the head gasket surface which leads me to believe not a lot of hours. The color of the chamber looks like it was firing properly.
My cam has minor lines on the bearing surfaces so I will likely replace.
Need to figure out how to pull the oil restrictor out of the block since I have the late model head.
Bought a used OEM piston and rod.
Will hone all cylinders and install new rings and timing chain.

My bearings look like new. Have not decided if I will replace any but the rod bearing (going OEM).

May replace all valves with solid aftermarket. Either Eastside or Supertech.

Back