Help me choose a new impeller...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

FarmerSid

Hey All. I want to change out my impeller and wear ring before my 2011 Challenger 180 SE 215HP goes in the water for the summer. Haven't found too much info. What do you all think of the SRX-CD-14/19, the Solas Concord 14/19 or a Skat impeller? Not sure what to do. Thanks for the help!

Thanks guys! Looking for an improvement for tubing. Is there any other options I should consider? Are they that much better than stock?

Not much difference between the impellers but now I have a spare and peace of mind that the impeller, wear ring are right.

Well I got a Solas concord 14/19R impeller locally for a good price used. It's used but perfect. Not a nick in it. It came with a thread on seal cone thing. It's missing the outer o ring but the inner one is in it. Anyone know the proper size of the o rings? Thinking I should replace them when installing. Any tricks or advice on the impeller install?

I just swapped my stock impeller with a Solas. Make sure you get the right impeller. The Solas listed for my 2010 Challenger 180/215 was not correct. Make sure you get the right one!

I posted about it last week here: Solas prop differences...

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=89232&share_fid=43845&share_type=t

I have taken it out for one ride since I replaced it and there was no noticeable difference. I also replaced the plastic wear ring with a Stainless one. My boat cavitates if I punch it full throttle out of the hole but as soon as I back off a little it catches and gets 100% traction after that.

Thanks Nate. I did see your thread but it didn't click with me for some reason. Bummer! Looks like I have the wrong impeller. Talked to Riva, great tech guy too, and he too confirmed I have the wrong impeller. Need the SRZ and not SRX. He said I could sink my boat if I use the SRX. Would push back the drive shaft and cause a leak at the carbon seal. Not only that but wrong pitch. He suggested I use a 13/18. So off to look for a SRZ-CD-13/18. Wife's not going to be happy!

Thanks Nate. I did see your thread but it didn't click with me for some reason. Bummer! Looks like I have the wrong impeller. Talked to Riva, great tech guy too, and he too confirmed I have the wrong impeller. Need the SRZ and not SRX. He said I could sink my boat if I use the SRX. Would push back the drive shaft and cause a leak at the carbon seal. Not only that but wrong pitch. He suggested I use a 13/18. So off to look for a SRZ-CD-13/18. Wife's not going to be happy!

I'm so glad that helped!!! My mechanic told me it was wrong, when I called the parts guy he assured me the "X" was correct but my mechanic insisted it was incorrect. That's why I posted the pics, I hope anyone purchasing an impeller searches the forum first :)

Ya, it helped a lot Nate. Glad I didn't have it all torn apart and found out. How did you determine you needed a 14/19? Riva said right off the bat "first off, that impeller is wrong for your boat. You need the 13/18"

That what was listed as the replacement for stock. My boat still has the same top speed of about 45 but it was pretty windy the day I had it out so we'll see. Like I said, there was no noticeable difference with the new prop.

Ya, it helped a lot Nate. Glad I didn't have it all torn apart and found out. How did you determine you needed a 14/19? Riva said right off the bat "first off, that impeller is wrong for your boat. You need the 13/18"

I'm running a 14/19 on my 06 180 and last summer with the water temp the highest it gets around here I was still turning 7800 rpm. Now in the spring with the 4" intake I'm at 8000-8050. If you do get a 13/18 I'd be curious to hear what rpm you get out off it. I'm not convinced a 13/18 would be right on my boat. I know there is a big jump from the 14/19 to the 15/20, but maybe it's not so much between the 13/18 and 14/19. I use my boat almost entirely for cruising though, so I'm not overly concerned with the hole shot.

I should mention my impeller is a 14/19 not a 14/19R so maybe it isn't quite to spec, who knows.

I should mention my impeller is a 14/19 not a 14/19R so maybe it isn't quite to spec, who knows.

The R Riva series impellers go through a second inspection to make sure the measurements are just right. But sounds like you already knew that. :thumbsup:

Well......Nate was right! SRZ was the right one. IMG_3147.JPGIMG_3145.JPG

I read that you could send your SRX and have it machined to SRZ. Recess is 4.5 mm deep by 28 mm wide. It also has an O ring in the recess. Don't see why the shaft couldn't be machined to accept the SRX. Would be easier or buy one.

Anyways, I can't believe Nate and I are the only ones here that have experienced this. I'm on my phone and will post some pictures later from my pic.

Till then...

I have since received a reply from Solas and they said that the SRX is the correct prop!?!? I'm leaning towards that the person answering the emails doesn't know what they're talking about?? Although I find that hard to believe. I even sent them pics of the prop differences and I'm going with the expertise of my mechanic, he's been in business for 20 years and I trust him. Maybe we just have weird boats....? Dunno. Well, I've had mine out 3-4 times since I've replaced the prop with the SRZ and it's been running great. Although I cant slam full throttle from a dead stop or I get cavitation, but if I hesitate full throttle for even a fraction of a second from a dead stop I'm good. It's only been me and my wife in the boat so far, this Memorial Day weekend I'll have my whole family in the boat so we'll see who's it goes.

I didn't have any cavitation. Put your foot in the oil pan and it took off! Only thing I didn't like is the way the boat would slow down when turning left mostly. The wear ring is like new as is the stock impeller. So really, I didn't Need to take it apart. Stock impeller and wear ring are just in good shape as the new brp wear ring and Solas 13/18 impeller. I'm gonna try the 13/18 and see how she goes. You should look more into the cavitation on your boat. Mine took off no problem before. We'll see after this is done. Riva even told me that I had the newer shaft and the SRZ was the right one.

Now to clean and paint the pump etc. Anyone here have advice on that?

Cheers

Well.... Got the drive line all freshly painted up and Solas SRZ 13/18 impeller installed. Boat went in the water for the summer last Friday. Runs great. No cavitation at all from take off. No real difference between the Solas and stock impeller. Only thing is all I can get is 7260 RPM and 33 MPH. That's with me and by 11 yr old son in the boat and full of fuel. I couldn't get 8000 or over 40 last summer either.

Can the throttle cable be adjusted to get more RPM?

Cheers!

IMG_3328.JPGIMG_3343.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not normal. If you open the engine compartment it's easy to see if the throttle is opening all the way. There's a high and low stop on the throttle body, at least on the 06's. It shouldn't be right up against the stop at full throttle but close. Is the speedometer on the 11's based on gps? If not I wouldn't trust the gauge to be accurate. Regardless you should be getting 8000 with that impeller I would think. Have you changed the spark plugs lately? How many hours on the boat? I've read too much oil with bring you're RPM down as well. Although I don't know how much truth there is to that.

Thanks! Not sure on the GPS and speedo. Plugs are brand new when I changed the oil when I winterized it. Oil level reads 3/4 on dipstick. First thing I checked before firing it up to go in the water. 181 hrs. Supercharger was rebuilt at 154 hrs with 200 hr BRP kit from dealer I bought boat from.

I'm running a 14/19 on my 06 180 and last summer with the water temp the highest it gets around here I was still turning 7800 rpm. Now in the spring with the 4" intake I'm at 8000-8050. If you do get a 13/18 I'd be curious to hear what rpm you get out off it. I'm not convinced a 13/18 would be right on my boat. I know there is a big jump from the 14/19 to the 15/20, but maybe it's not so much between the 13/18 and 14/19. I use my boat almost entirely for cruising though, so I'm not overly concerned with the hole shot.

What kit did you use for your 4" intake?

Thanks! Not sure on the GPS and speedo. Plugs are brand new when I changed the oil when I winterized it. Oil level reads 3/4 on dipstick. First thing I checked before firing it up to go in the water. 181 hrs. Supercharger was rebuilt at 154 hrs with 200 hr BRP kit from dealer I bought boat from.

If your motor gets fogged for storage, its very possible to ruin those new plugs in the spring when burning off the fogging oil. For this reason I change plugs in spring after first startup which burns off all that extra oil.

My last boat with 215 motor seemed to struggle for rpm and some things I found important to look at which could cause low rpm were...
-supercharger slip
-cracked/leaky/loose supercharger to throttle body hose
-bad gas/not running 91+ octane
-oil level too high
-leaky intercooler
-plugs
-dirty/old fuel filter

Well.... Got the drive line all freshly painted up and Solas SRZ 13/18 impeller installed. Boat went in the water for the summer last Friday. Runs great. No cavitation at all from take off. No real difference between the Solas and stock impeller. Only thing is all I can get is 7260 RPM and 33 MPH. That's with me and by 11 yr old son in the boat and full of fuel. I couldn't get 8000 or over 40 last summer either.

Can the throttle cable be adjusted to get more RPM?

Cheers!

View attachment 40390View attachment 40391

Did you get this problem solved? I'm curious to hear how the 13/18 performs.

Check and see if your throttle cable is all the way open almost hitting the stopper on throttle body before you attempt to adjust. Then you may have to get TPS reset and adjust cable. I am running 13/17 pitch new impeller and getting 7500 rpm and 40 miles an hour with full tank and 7 people in boat. If you go with lower pitch you will gain bottom end and hole shot but will loose at bit of rpm. But check oil and maybe new plugs to make sure everything is ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back