Help! I put USED 4 stroke oil into my 2 stroke oil reserve,

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

qcompgreg

A month ago I changed the oil in my pontoon boat motor. My wife was disposing the oil for me. She found an empty container for the oil - my old 2 stroke XPS oil container! She then took all other used oil to the dump, but she left this container. I am very late in winterizing, but finally got around to it tonight. I went to top off the oil reservoir. As the oil started to pour in, I thought that the color was off. My garage lighting is poor. I think about 1/2 - 1 cup (max) got into the reservoir before I realized what was going on and did a major abort! The tank was already 90% full of good oil.

I have a 2004 sea doo gti le rfi.

Any suggestions on what I should do in the spring?

1. Fill with good oil every time I ride in an attempt to dilute the crap oil.
2. Somehow drain the entire reservoir. What would be the best method.

I have done some dumb things, but this ranks pretty high on the list!

Drain it. Change the oil filter. Refill with proper oil. Re bleed the pump.

You cannot run with that like that. Not sure how normal oil will react with the two stroke oil... but a lot of oils “gel” when mixed which can cause it to plug up the filter.

Just clean it all out and start over. Better safe than sorry at this point.

Yep.... what he said. Unfortunately, they don't normal mix well... and modern 4-stroke oils don't burn well. No reason to roll the dice on killing an engine.

Siphon the old oil out from the reservoir cap and suck everything out to the bottom of the tank. Fill the tank up with a quart of oil and slosh it around, then suck that up too. Refill with XPS and enjoy.

I doubt the contaminated oil has migrated into your oil lines

A lot of new oils can be mixed but 2 stroke vs 4 stroke I wouldn't risk it, even with a small amount. I always found it tough to suck all the oil of my GSX or GTX tanks so i would pull the hose off the bottom nipple and drain it that way.....tilt the trailer if needed to get it all out. Then fill with good oil of your choice. I use Amsoil Interceptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back