Help decide which boat to get

Which boat to get??

• 1996 Challenger 800

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2003 Sportster 150 4 tec

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LUSTFULVENGANCE

Okay so here's the thing, I have saved up a bunch of money and I'm going to buy a Seadoo jet boat. I have two options that I'm considering:

Boat #1- 1996 Challenger 800
Single 787, seats all torn up, trim and weedless cables stuck, other misc problems. Has new (10hrs) SBT engine in it and runs good. $2000ish

Boat #2- 2003 Sportster 150
155hp N/A engine, mint condition, good trailer, newer engine. $6000

The thing with the first option is that I would have a lot of money left over to make the boat perfect again, it's also a less complicated carbureted 2 stroke versus the 4 Tec with its fuel injection............

In my opinion, I'd wait until after labor day or later. More boats available and prices drop considerably as winter approaches.

If it's simply between the 2 you listed, I'd opt for the newer 2003 Sportster 150. I personally prefer the 4 strokes to the 2 strokes. SBT motors aren't known for quality or durability hence the generous warranty. I'd make sure it's transferable if you do decide to go that route.

How many hours on the 4tec? I think the newer boat would have more features and storage over the older one as well.

What's the condition of each? Any pics or links to ads? Do a compression check on each motor to see how strong they are or aren't. Inspect the pump/impeller. Make sure all electronics work as they should.

I'd be careful about sinking too much money into either as more than likely it's money you won't see returned if you decided to sell afterwards.

I'd recommend you test drive them both and go from there as it's really personal preference.

Good luck

Keep us posted on what you decide! Our family got a 05 Sportster 155 and it was a great boat to learn on, both with maintenance and piloting a boat in general. You might eventually outgrow the size of the Sportster though. Four years into ownership and I'm starting to look at 04 and up Challengers with the 4tecs. I would heed the advise of JPass he helps out alot on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back