Help a newbie decide which boat

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rossc23

Hey guys. Need help figuring out which boat to buy. Have it narrowed down to three. Mind you money is a factor with the most expensive really stretching my boat budget.
1 - 2003 sportster 155 hp, pristine condition, around 120 hours. Boat looks brand new, trailer looks brand new. Could get for 5500.
2- 2008 sportster 155 hp, little bit rough cosmetically, runs good. 145 hours. Could get for 9000.
3 - 2012 speedster 155 hp. Great condition, 65 hours. Could get for 12500.

Any opinions?

I went cheap on my transition from a PWC to a boat to not have a lot of money at risk if I didn't use it enough/changed my mind/etc... So, that would lead toward option one, in my mind. Then I upgraded later after we knew we enjoyed the lifestyle.

The other question worth considering is: will you work on it yourself?

Assuming they all are mechanically sound, I'd take the better looking 2003. I would not stretch my budget for option 3, as a major repair would make things really tough.

Others can give you info on the engines in those years and potential issues.

My two cents...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every boat you listed does not have any specific engine concerns. 2004 to early 2006 the 155 had an issue with the Hollow Core Exhaust Valves.
Boats are a year behind. Which would mean, a boat with an engine from 2005 to early 2007 would be a possible concern.

also you should think about the 18ft vs 15ft. more room and easier market.
having a windshield is a big plus too.
challenger 180 215 or 255.

Last edited by a moderator:
Three years ago I bought a 2003 Sportster 155. I was sorry I bought the boat because it was just too small. Just me and my girlfriend would use the boat 99% of the time and she is 5 ft tall and weights about 105 lbs and we bumped into each other all the time. I'm 6 ft and 220 lbs...just no room. Also the Sportster has tendency to take on water over the bow when crossing a wake from another boat and that is a little scary for my partner. Sold the Sportster and traded up to the Challenger 180, while only 3 feet longer has more than twice the room.

I know you have a budget but I would suggest you look at a Challenger 180 with a 215 with low hours and look for SeaDoo that is a 2009 and up. You should be able to find one in the $12,000 range. A 2009 is possible and still be within you budget. There are many reasons why I recommend a 2009 or later but trust me on that one. I also suggest you spend as much time reading past treads before you buy. There is a huge amount of good information to be absorbed. Also, when you decide what Seadoo to buy, post it on this site and ask for experienced opinions. That's what this site is all about.

Good luck in your search and realize the season is almost over come Labor Day, up north, so use this in your negotiations on price.

As a challenger owner, I am a big fan of the space. You put four people on it at 200 pounds each, even that gets squirrely. RCGUY offered some good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back