HELP! 2002 GTX rfi

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlaWalker

Hello and thanks for reading.
I recently purchased a SeaDoo GTX rfi 2002 model. The guys has completely stuffed me around and I am now out of pocket with a dead ski.
It runs and revs out of water but when it’s in the water it won’t rev at all. Wear ring looks good, spark plugs have been changed. We have charged the battery to full and it’s putting out 12.5 - 13. However when we turn it on it isn’t going up to the desired 14 - 14.5.
We think it might be the rectifier. Has anyone else had anything similar?? Everyone we speak to doesn’t understand why its nit revving in the water.
Spoke to a guy today who said it could be the jet pump and that we might need to replace that?

Get a decent compression testor not a Harbor Freight model. Not all Harbor Freight models are bad but they can be inconsistent. I bought an OTC testo off Ebay and I've had good luck with it. You may be able to borrow one which is a good idea if you don't do much mechanical work. The compression testing process is pretty simple. Remove the spark plugs and spin the engine over and take the readings. Generally what you are experiencing with the ski in the water is a compression issue. As Mikidymac suggested it is the first thing to check and verify. Good Luck.

DON'T GUESS! Find someone who knows before you start "trying" things. That is what you need to do. Don't overcomplicate what could be something simple. This scenario plays out constantly, over and over!
Even if it is a terminal motor issue, you want to find out NOW before going any further.
You can rule out the battery by sitting a known good one (new?) in there. It will should run fine, charging or not, for a quick water test. Check the basic power and ground connections while you are at it.

Hello and thanks for reading.
I recently purchased a SeaDoo GTX rfi 2002 model. The guys has completely stuffed me around and I am now out of pocket with a dead ski.
It runs and revs out of water but when it’s in the water it won’t rev at all. Wear ring looks good, spark plugs have been changed. We have charged the battery to full and it’s putting out 12.5 - 13. However when we turn it on it isn’t going up to the desired 14 - 14.5.
We think it might be the rectifier. Has anyone else had anything similar?? Everyone we speak to doesn’t understand why its nit revving in the water.
Spoke to a guy today who said it could be the jet pump and that we might need to replace that?
What does it turn for rpms in the water or does it stay at idle speed does it say 12v low on the gauge.to give a fast check of the motor health you can pull the rave valves and look down the cyl and see if they are scuffed up.

Compression test sounds like the way to go, when you are in the water the engine is fighting the pump load as well as exhaust load from pushing water, (if 2002 GTX RFI is like my ski). Neither of these should be a big problem, however if compression is bad, maybe not. It might be possible for a very weak electrical source / system to cause this, but I would think the battery would run it for a while, did you monitor battery voltage while running ? You have start it to get the charging system going, not just turn it on, (mention just in case).
Luck;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back