Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masterferret

Hey everyone!! My name is Paul and I'm a major noob to PWC. Recently received a beat-to-hell, bone-stock, hand-me-down 94 SD XP when my brother purchased a new (leftover) RXP. It was great when my brother owned the XP, but now that he has that big monster, EVERYTHING has changed. His favorite thing is to ride circles around me (literally and incessantly) when I'm topped off and going in a straight line. Two weekends ago, while he was out of town with his sweetie, I made the mistake of taking his 1/2 ton (it sure seems close to that) monster out for a blast. Fortunately, I was waterborne and no one was able to see me nearly wet myself.

I can't go another season with Commander McBragg torturing me. If anyone could offer me step-by-step way to improve my little water scooter, I'd GREATLY appreciate it. I've heard that I could just "drop in" a 717, everything will line up/bolt up, and that all i'd need to do is rejet my carbs for a little extra power... I'm just not too sure what "drop in" entails, or what " a little extra power" amounts to. ... Maybe i should just go and buy a case of tissues instead.

how is the compression in the older engine? Size??....657.

Can't help you with the drop-in question but others will chime in soon.....you want to start a new thread with your question as the title, it might draw more people.

Do you have a ferret? We have Badger the ferret....7 + yrs old.

The easiest way to make power in that ski is sell it and buy a 98+ XP. ;) From what I read a 717 will bolt in for 85HP. Thing is, you could have what is remembered as one of the worst hulls ever. If it is an 94 X3 hull, for performance, it is one step above dog doo. If it is a 94+ X4 hull, welcome to fun. The hull is your limiting factor. While you are bouncing around with your modified 717 struggling to top 60, your brother has already holeshot you by 2-3 lengths and is approaching his 65mph governor. The easiest mod for the 717 was the aftermarket "factory" pipe with electronic water injection kit. It was dynoed at 98ish hp with carb tuning and no supporting mods. Rotax Seadoos are about topped on reliable HP from the factory.

If you "just love" this particular xp, you could go through the trouble of spending thousands to put a 951 in it. You are just not going to consistently keep up with a RXP. Fight fire with fire, or a 300hp Ultra. :p

If I were you, I would take pride in the fact that your ski will be at least 2 times more fun to play on, and cost about 1/2 to operate and repair. Check the X4 thread and do some google image searches for "custom X4 seadoo" those things can be made to look sweet. Ask Doc Honda for any graphic work you need.

Also, your question would be better served in the pwc section. The 4-tech guys are pretty dry and serious, so they could tell you what can beat them. This section is more of a "Hi, my name is, I own a, looking forward to".

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Seadoobuddy... The motor is a 657x for what ever that's worth. compression is 130 and 135.

@Gamerse... How would One make the determination between the X3 and X4 hulls? Thanks for mentioning the governor on the RXP. After overhearing one side of a phone conversation, along with that comment.... God help me. Tell me defeating/removing the governor on a RXP is costly, or can't be done...pleeeease. Do I even want to know what the top speed of one of those things w/o a governor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back