Hello I am JHW from Iowa and need advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JWEBBINK

I have a 13 year old granddaughter that I would like to buy a used 2 cycle Seadoo for. The 2 cycle for the reduced price. I would like to know if she operates it at only medium throttle will it hurt the unit. I do not want her operating it at full throttle for a while until I feel that she is safe on it. I am looking at a 2005 with a new SBT motor are there any problems with that year and did all 2005's have the beginner key or some way to control the speed?

I think to 05 gti is the 717 model.

first, check the boating rules and regs in your state for when she can ride solo (14 here in Florida with a permit)

no "learning" key mode for that engine that i'm aware of, being a 717, its kinda-sorta already in learning mode.

Maybe you could tape a swim noodle or something thinner onto the handlebar to limit the throttle?

Having turned my daughter loose at age 14, (she did 10 hours minimum of on water training with me at age 13, got her boating permit on her 14th birthday)

Each kid is different, so I will recommend caution, let her drive with you sitting on the back, learn basic water rules, channel markers, speed limits, how to approach a wake, u-turns w/o falling off, letting go of handlebars if its tipping over, and most importantly, no splashing, keep your distance from all other watercraft !

I remember telling the daughter to go half throttle (25mph) on her first solo ride, ya, that didn't work, she was at full throttle (49mph) about 30 seconds later, lol, me and my buddy had to chase her down on his supercharged ski so I could yell at her. We caught up to her and she had this HUGE grin from ear to ear (and wasn't drowning) so right then all my anger was washed away and I forgave her immediately. The fastest she's been since (at age 19) is 74mph, this was after I told her my gpr topped out at 73 she took advantage of her 105 pound frame to prove me wrong lol.

summary:

check rules & regs
proceed slowly
expect her to violate whatever conditions you place.

Thanks for all of the good information. I take it that this is not a turbo model. The SBT engine bothers me after reading about their bad reputation on a forum. If that should go bad who sells a solid engine rebuild? John

definitely NOT turbo, this is the slowest, most cautious model made in 2005.

sbt is fine, they sell many thousands of motors, i'd rate them about a 7.5 out of 10 and it would NOT scare me away from buying a ski. if you have a total failure you can explore your options then (SES, fullbore, sbt, local)

you can check the warranty status of the sbt engine by calling them 877.330.0231 with the engine tag number (easy to spot usually) they come with a 1 or a 2 year, so you might still have some time left.

SBT went through a rough phase, but generally speaking they are as good as any other rebuider.

The engine will not care if it is not going faster than half speed/RPM's.

Thanks again Spimothyfor all of your wisdom. It sounds like that would be the perfect model for my granddaughter. I checked the regulations here and they are 13 after completing an on line course. Where we plan to go they have the no wake rule in the inlet and I thought I would have her only go there for awhile. The guy wants $2200 for the ski and the motor has 20 hours on it. I didn't think that was so bad and if I had to put a better engine in it I think that I would still be within the retail market. It hasn't been in salt water so that should eliminate some of the problems.

I bought a seadoo jet boat a while back with the motor out of it cheap. I put an sbt motor in it, but then found I had other problems with the propulsion system and sold it holding my money together so I never had a chance to use it. I will never do that again. Working on those up over and down inside was not a fun thing.

Thanks to you too Coastiejoe.

I have a SBT engine in my XP and its been running great. Also, the GTI comes with 2 different engines in 05. The regular GTI came with a 720 (extremely reliable) But there is also an RFI model which comes with a fuel injected 787. The 787 itself is also reliable but the RFI models tend to have fuel delivery issues which can be a pain to diagnose.

And yeah...... a 13 year old isn't going to last too long at half throttle. lol

Another question about this ski. It is 150 miles away so I haven't actually seen it in person. It seems that some are direct injection with the oil tank and some are mix fuel and some have converted to mix fuel. Was there a problem with this system that you would want to go to mix fuel?

for starters: your a heck of a granddad to do this, she'll appreciate it a hell of a lot more than the butterscotch candies my pop's used to give me.

Personally i'm not a fan of riding alone, and i'm 48 and pretty experienced out there so I know I won't panic if something goes terribly wrong.

so i'd hesitate to just turn her lose by herself, even within site of you on shore, since you won't be able to "go fetch" if needed.

The price is fair enough for an 05 model.

Another question about this ski. It is 150 miles away so I haven't actually seen it in person. It seems that some are direct injection with the oil tank and some are mix fuel and some have converted to mix fuel. Was there a problem with this system that you would want to go to mix fuel?

the oil injection for seadoo is generally reliable, if its set up that way then you will be fine, I wouldn't convert.

Some owners convert for convenience or security but as long as the lines feeding the system aren't brittle, dont' worry about it. premix is a bit of a PITA and if you forget to mix in oil just once, you can destroy the engine. My xp was premixed when I bought it so I left it that way but I wouldn't have even considered purposely deleted the injection system.

Thanks for the compliment Spimothy. She has had kind of a troubled life with divorce etc. I figure that in a couple of years she won't be wanting to do as much with grandma and grandpa. I agree with you the problem with normal is getting worse. At 67 I am concerned. For some reason I don't look at it the same way as 18.

I never ride alone and I have been on the way for about 45 years now. ANYTHING can happen when you are on a ski. Your fault or not, if something happens you NEED help. For safety reason, it is just not worth doing. Plus, it really isn't as much fun when you are by yourself,,,,

Not sure what skis are DI models, but I would recommend staying away from them. If you want details just ask,,,

Ask the seller to send you a pic and post it on here and we can tell you. The 787 has 2 black caps with red centers
181050713_sea-doo-787-800-rfi-core-engine-gtx-gsx-3d-rfi-fuel-.jpg

Why stay away from the DI?

Ok,, the DI engine runs great when it is running as it should. But,,, when it is not, it is considerably harder to diagnose and cost is higher..
For example, fuel pumps fail fairly often and they cost several hundreds of dollars for the pump alone,, The pressure is something like 117 PSI at an idle, if it drops much below that the ski runs poorly at best. Requires a gauge to test the pressure,,,

Again, when they run, they run great. When they have issues, they are no fun at all... Those that own them and KNOW them well, really like them. Most will not buy a DI ski though.

DI is not RFI,

I'd stay away from DI (this model is not a DI so don't worry)

I have no issues with RFI personally, although I've never owned one its not crazy complicated like the DI. I wouldn't let a RFI scare me away either.

But yes, one engine picture and we can tell which is which. I think the 717 is the GTI, and the 787 RFI model is the GTI LE or GTI RFI on the stickers on the side.

however 787xp is right: if the head is flat/parrallel to the ground, its a 717, if its at a 30degree angle, its the rfi.

Ok everybody I am ski language challenged. What is an RFI? I assumed that the DI was a direct injection of oil by having a tank.

Ok everybody I am ski language challenged. What is an RFI? I assumed that the DI was a direct injection of oil by having a tank.

DI (Direct Injection) has fuel injectors that inject fuel directly into cylinders. No carbs to mess with. 2 stroke seadoo's come with an oil pump and separate tank for oil.

But as [MENTION=29781]Spimothy Leary[/MENTION] stated the DI and RFI's are different. (Didn't know this)

OK I am going to try everyones patients. I have also thought about a 2000 rotax LRV. Any problems or things to stay away from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back