Hello! And a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devildog9999

Hey All - New forum member here, and potential Sea Doo owner as well.

I am currently looking at a 2005 GTX Limited, but I cannot seem to find many reviews on this PWC. The craft has 62 hours on it, is in near showroom condition and I got $1K off of the price to offset the 100 hour maintenance to be conducted at the local Sea Doo shop. I have an appointment today to have a complete survey done on it with my local mechanic, so I am sure we will uncover any hidden problems.

I guess what I am looking for is just a general overall opinion of the craft, how it is on fuel usage and mileage, fun factor, and any other things I should be concerned about before signing the contract.

Appreciate any feedback anyone can give regarding this PWC! Thanks!

Welcome Devildog9999 -
What are you paying for it?

There are people here who can talk you thru the 100 hr maintenance routine and save you bigbuck$.
I can't help you on this machine but others will chime in a bit later.

After talking the guy down I am looking at a tad over 5K for it. To be honest I still cannot believe it is an 05 - the condition is near 100% perfect. It is a one owner ski owned by (they had a pair) an older couple so I would assume it has not been beaten to death. The 100 hour maintenance around here goes for $750 if done by Sea-Doo dealer, but I have heard it can be done quite a bit cheaper.

When I buy something that needs to be fixed, I always assume dealer price.

For an SC model, something to check on is the Supercharger. You need to assume it needs a rebuild if it hasn't ever been rebuilt or if it has been rebuilt prior to 09. IIRC, that is when the latest washer set came out without the ceramic stuff in it

After a test ride to ensure that the stock speedo will read 69-70mph and that you can get to 8000-8100rpms. Have the sc checked for two things...

1...that it's original and hasn't been removed.

2...if it has...check for the upgraded clutch washers.

The one worry for me......if it had the original sc blow up...who ever replaced/rebuilt the sc may not have done a complete teardown on the motor. Stealerships are notorious for doing just enough to get the thing going again...only to have catastrophic failures some time down the road because they didn't take the time to do a thorough cleaning and find every piece of the shattered ceramic washers.

"older couple" buys two high power skis...why?...why not a pontoon?...did they have younger riders?...kids maybe?...grand kids?

5K ain't that great a price...trailer too?....out the door cost?....$750 for a 100hr service isn't just robbery...it's highwayfcknrobbery.

I've heard of sc's going with as little as 10 hrs on them....without knowing the complete history.........beware.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Got home about 7:30 tonight after having the survey and it looks like I may have found a pretty good used PWC. The surveyor gave me a clean bill of health with the exception of these items:

Small scratch on the port bow, cosmetic.
Deep scratch starboard bow, irreparable.
Rip, port side on the seat. 1/4", repairable.
Rust present, stern re-boarding step hinges, repairable
Throttle cable stretched, indicated replacement necessary.

Some things to note about the survey:
Documents indicate supercharger rebuilt July 2011 by Sea-Doo authorized repair facility due to "noise reported by customer". ( I have a copy of the repair order, and it was completed using the "standard repair and rebuild kit". No indication of any part numbers though. Cost of repairs was $478.33 however the owner had a 3rd party warranty which covered 50/50 for materials / labor)

Compression test completed November 16, 2011 indicates Cylinder compression reads 181, 180, 180. Spark Plugs determined to be in serviceable range. (Is this within spec?)

The rest of the survey essentially says that everything is within specifications and is within tolerances for the year, make and model with no other derogatory remarks.

Trailer is a 2006 Yachtclub and is included. Survey cost me $200.00, and out the door if I buy it will be $53xx.00 with tax and reg.

So - what do you all think? Decent buy for a showroom quality PWC that needs minor work?

After a test ride to ensure that the stock speedo will read 69-70mph and that you can get to 8000-8100rpms. Have the sc checked for two things...

2...if it has...check for the upgraded clutch washers.

The one worry for me......if it had the original sc blow up...who ever replaced/rebuilt the sc may not have done a complete teardown on the motor. Stealerships are notorious for doing just enough to get the thing going again...only to have catastrophic failures some time down the road because they didn't take the time to do a thorough cleaning and find every piece of the shattered ceramic washers.

$750 for a 100hr service isn't just robbery...it's highwayfcknrobbery.

I've heard of sc's going with as little as 10 hrs on them....without knowing the complete history.........beware.

Good luck

still applies

also...lemme check here..but...135 is more the norm for a compression reading...brb

Yep...anywhere from 135-140 is the norm.

Who performed the survey?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back