99 GTX RFI N00b Questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

madravergtx

Ok so last year my wife and I found a great deal on a more or less running 99 GTX RFI. It needed more work than the seller said and we fixed some of his bodge jobs and cheap below spec parts, but we got it out on a local lake and had fun. This year we've had it out a few times and we're just chasing some small gremlins at this point or just dealing with crotchety old sea doo things.

Anyway...now for the dumbest n00b question you'll all likely read today... How do you properly fuel these? It has a horizontal tube leading to the gas hose/tank. Gas pump nozzles auto shut off constantly. It backwashes if I am not super slow using a standard red gas container. We use a clear pool hose and it takes ages because we have to watch the fuel fill rate or it... you guessed it.. backwashes. Not good for the lovely white and gold cold colorway.

So what painfully obvious thing am I missing here?

Also we've been running ethanol free gas so far. Is that good/bad/indifferent?

Thanks. Now if any one of you are into mountain bikes then I am your guy.

(check out the Redbull Hardline on youtube and redbull tv this weekend. Insanity on 2 wheels)

Yes those can be a pain. The tanks don't have a large enough vent, which I think is the main problem, and the horizontal line doesn't help at all. You have to be patient. I've turned the pump handle upside down on occasion to try to alter the flow path of the fuel.... it's always a game. Keep in mind you are displacing a lot of air when you are filling the 15 gallon tank and air has to be able to get out. Pump a bit and stop.

You have me thinking now... Remove the fill line and cut a 1/2" or 3/4" fuel hose to where it sticks out about 2" below the end end of the hose so it will protrude into the fuel tank a bit. That will be your vent. Leave the hose in there and figure out a way to secure it near the fuel cap that way it won't wriggle it's way in to the tank. You'll have to push the fueling nozzle "past" the opening in your new vent line when fueling so the end of the hose will have to be very near the fuel cap. Just a thought. Good Luck and enjoy your new ski. Those are my favorites... especially for woman... n o carbs to flood. LOL

Back