Head Unit wiring q - keep old fuses????

Status
Not open for further replies.

byebye

I've removed my JBL head unit, about to replace with Alpine. There are wires coming out of the old JBL head unit that end in a plug - however;

- the blue wire (Auto Ant) has a 1A fuse in-line (prior to ending in the plug)
- the yellow (backup b+) and black (ground) wires have a 10A fuse box in-line (prior to ending in the plug)

Do I need to continue using those fuses with the alpine deck?

If what I said is unclear there's a wiring diagram of the JBL here; http://www.prospecelectronics.com/manuals/JBL MR5 manual.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
1) The blue wire is for "auto ant" meaning an antenna that goes up and down automatically on a vehicle. You used to see this alot on older cars, you don't really see this on new cars at all now but you can still buy them. Bascially it activates a little motor that extends or retracts the antenna. If you have that type of antenna on your boat then you need to keep this, if you don't have that then cut it off.

2) As far as the yellow and black, I would see how the new Alpine harness looks, it can not hurt to keep these in and the worst that will happen is the fuse will keep blowing if there is a problem (and that is how you will know). If it turns out it is an issue you can always cut them out and replace with a different size (if the new unit calls for it) or eliminate them completlely.

I would follow the diagram for the new unit and do what that calls for and probably cut all the other sh!t out but that is just my opinion, what I wrote above is the staying on the safe side of things.

Hope that helps.

If they are on the JBL side of the harness, and not part of the Sea Doo harness then I would cut them out really. If the new head unit requires fuses inline, it will have them already on the wire. Generally its just the red power wire. Its kinda odd the JBL had them on other wires. The power antenna wire is what was used on old school power antenna...but over the years most manufacturers just left that on there because that is what is used for the remote power turn on for an amplifier.

Good point about the amp power up, forgot about that. That's a perfect reason why you think about this kinda stuff before you go cutting anything off that is not easily replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back