Head Gasket Replacement - 2008 RTX 215

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakeozark80

I just bought a 2008 RXT 215. It runs(poorly), and we think it's a head gasket (oil looks like chocolate milk)

Is it prone to much bigger problems, or is it possible someone didn't take care of this one? It was pretty sun-faded.

Sounds like it is getting water in the oil and has been run that way . If it is a head gasket your antifreeze will be low after you run it a while or the previous owner somehow got water in the oil and didn't do a boil out procedure. after running the ski does it become low on antifreeze? Head gaskets are fairly easy to replace with the engine still in the ski. when it is changed, make sure to change the oil and then do a boil out procedure and change oil again. Refer to shop manual for specific instructions. Hopefully the bearing on the crankshaft aren't messed up. If so a rebuild is in order.

Yep, Its a head gasket. They are easy to do. about a 1 day job for the average joe. If you've never done one get a copy of the shop manual for all the torque values. The head bolts are stretch bolts, so every time I take off a head I replace all the bolts with new ones( is a little expensive but I think worth it). Just to prevent future problems. I have been using the WSM head gasket and have never had any issues with them.

The head bolts are stretch bolts, so every time I take off a head I replace all the bolts with new ones( is a little expensive but I think worth it).

Yeah the kit comes with new bolts ($212 at my dealer. Not sure what the brand is). All the reviews say it's a great ski. I'm excited to work on it and get it out there.

Yeah the kit comes with new bolts ($212 at my dealer. Not sure what the brand is). All the reviews say it's a great ski. I'm excited to work on it and get it out there.
How many hours are on the ski? I would also consider taking the valves out and make sure none of them are warped since its been leaking water. If they are warped replace them, It will save you in the long run!! besides anytime I pull a head, I polish the valves, check for warped ones and reseat with valve lap polish to make sure all are seating properly. The sea doo has a very simple head that is easy to rework.

How many hours are on the ski? I would also consider taking the valves out and make sure none of them are warped since its been leaking water. If they are warped replace them, It will save you in the long run!! besides anytime I pull a head, I polish the valves, check for warped ones and reseat with valve lap polish to make sure all are seating properly. The sea doo has a very simple head that is easy to rework.

My kid took a plug out and water came out. Thing has been sitting for a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back