GTX Limited 300 or GTX limited IS 260

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

danstar

Hello All;
I bought a 2015 RXPX 260 last year and found it to be not quite what I expected. Im 58 and it is a bit tweaky and ultra responsive given its 2 up seat and hull design. I have been a long time seadoo owner with many models over the years.
My wife also love to ride. My 2014 RXTX 260 is a great machine for me and I like it much better that my new RXPX.
So off we go to the dealer to trade.
My question is.....we are on inland lake with quite calm waters although it can get rough on weekends. I am trying to decide between a GTX limited 260IS or a GTX Limited 300 for my wife.
I hear the IS is top heavy and needs input for docking etc. She just wants to get on and ride without worrying about changing settings etc.
Is the IS worth the extra cash given we are not on ocean?
I love the idea of the 300 for the times I will ride but the big decision is suspension, or no suspension.
HELP.
Many thanks

My experience, in general, has been that people 50 and over really do like the suspension, especially women. They tend to ride much slower and are not looking to carve turns and do spinouts. You don't notice that it is top heavy until you start getting aggressive with it.

With that said, there is a local gentleman who I would guess to be almost 70, that rips around on his brand new rxtx that rides as hard as my 24 year old son. So, it's really up to your tastes and what you like. The suspension does work and really does smooth out rough water. I suggest you ride one before you buy as it seems some love it and some hate it and not much in between.

I have a GTX Limited iS 260 and I love it. I do not find my ski top heavy compared to my friends Kawasaki 300LX, but I have not compared it to a non-suspension S3 hull.

The GTX is very similar to your RXT. The main difference is the seat (and since you're looking at the new 300, obviously the power). The new GTX will ride nearly identically to your RXT. If you're happy with that, then you can go that route.

However, I LOVE the suspension on my Limited. You can just set it on full auto, as I do, and the ski takes care of everything for you.

My ski starts in dock mode, so the suspension is dropped all the way down. It keeps the CG low and the ski is very stable. It stays this way as I idle through the no-wake zones. As soon as I start riding, the suspension automatically raises and I now enjoy the plush ride. The amount of ride height (and thus the amount of available up travel) changes automatically based on the conditions (the ski senses and decides).

When I slow down for long enough, the ski will drop the upper deck for stability, and of course raise it when I continue riding.

I do nothing to manage my suspension - the ski takes care of it all - You really can just hop on and ride (I personally tend to play around with the display - depth, rpm, engine temp, etc - as well as turn sport mode on and off as needed, but obviously that's a personal thing - it's not NEEDED to enjoy the ski).

In my opinion, if you find the RXP too much for you so much that you're willing to trade it in, you should go for the iS ski. You'll very much appreciate the added comfort.

I have a GTX Limited iS 260 and I love it. I do not find my ski top heavy compared to my friends Kawasaki 300LX, but I have not compared it to a non-suspension S3 hull.

The GTX is very similar to your RXT. The main difference is the seat (and since you're looking at the new 300, obviously the power). The new GTX will ride nearly identically to your RXT. If you're happy with that, then you can go that route.

However, I LOVE the suspension on my Limited. You can just set it on full auto, as I do, and the ski takes care of everything for you.

My ski starts in dock mode, so the suspension is dropped all the way down. It keeps the CG low and the ski is very stable. It stays this way as I idle through the no-wake zones. As soon as I start riding, the suspension automatically raises and I now enjoy the plush ride. The amount of ride height (and thus the amount of available up travel) changes automatically based on the conditions (the ski senses and decides).

When I slow down for long enough, the ski will drop the upper deck for stability, and of course raise it when I continue riding.

I do nothing to manage my suspension - the ski takes care of it all - You really can just hop on and ride (I personally tend to play around with the display - depth, rpm, engine temp, etc - as well as turn sport mode on and off as needed, but obviously that's a personal thing - it's not NEEDED to enjoy the ski).

In my opinion, if you find the RXP too much for you so much that you're willing to trade it in, you should go for the iS ski. You'll very much appreciate the added comfort.

Can you ride the iS with the suspension disabled (i.e. in the full down position)?

Here is my $0.02 worth. I'm on my 4th Sea Doo in 13 years. My current is a (yet to be picked up from the dealer) RXT X 300. I'm 58 and spend most of my time riding on the flat or on larger waves when they whip up. I find riding on moderate chop a bit annoying - too small to "jump" and too large to ride quickly over. I guess that is what the iS is made for. My dealer had both models in stock and steered me away from the iS model. Everyone has a different experience, but the iS system has many moving parts, is difficult for the dealer to work on and when it breaks, just like everything else on these PWCs is stupid expensive to repair. So, I heeded the dealer's advice and stayed away when I bought my RXT 260 in 2010. I did the same this time. I'd like the smother ride in moderate chop but I'm told the feel is a bit disconnected from the water, which to me would take some of the fun out??

You can, I think. However, I don't think it's something you should do as it would probably damage something. In any case, the ski is not designed to be ridden like that.

The ski doesn't feel disconnected (I mean, of course there is some disconnection since you don't feel every little bump on the water) but it's not a feeling that you have no idea what the ski is doing. In fact, I feel my ski communicates more clearly due to the suspension as I feel what it is doing more and less of just all that bumps.

The ski is not as nimble and takes longer to transition but it is incredibly stable and confidence inspiring overall. It's akin to having a BMW M5 versus a Corvette. Overall, all modern skis are so big and heavy next to the XP I grew up on I figured any new ski would feel lumbering so I just got the most comfortable one. That said, I don't consider my ski lumbering at all. It feels pretty light on its feet for the size. I've been more than happy with my ski.

You can, I think. However, I don't think it's something you should do as it would probably damage something. In any case, the ski is not designed to be ridden like that.

The ski doesn't feel disconnected (I mean, of course there is some disconnection since you don't feel every little bump on the water) but it's not a feeling that you have no idea what the ski is doing. In fact, I feel my ski communicates more clearly due to the suspension as I feel what it is doing more and less of just all that bumps.

The ski is not as nimble and takes longer to transition but it is incredibly stable and confidence inspiring overall. It's akin to having a BMW M5 versus a Corvette. Overall, all modern skis are so big and heavy next to the XP I grew up on I figured any new ski would feel lumbering so I just got the most comfortable one. That said, I don't consider my ski lumbering at all. It feels pretty light on its feet for the size. I've been more than happy with my ski.

Fair enough. I think I have a couple of hard riding years left in me so I'll stick with the 300 this time. :) When I switch in 3 years, we'll see what is available. in the mean time, maybe I'll try and find one to test ride. :) The dealer kind of scared me off. he said when the suspension breaks (and he says they do), they are very difficult to work on (tight spaces) and are expensive to fix. My 2010 RXT had a drive shaft failure that cost $1,500 (CAD) to repair. After 6 years, that was my limit for a repair and I sold it for $10,500 and bought a new model for $16,500.

In a few years I expect them to fit a 300 with a next generation suspension design. The reason the suspension models retain the 260 is because the 300 doesn't fit in the tighter confines of the suspension skis.

The earlier suspension models were prone to breaking and had other flaws but most were fixed by 2011 or 2012. I played it safe and got a 2013 model year which is supposed to be all sorted out. Back in 2010 your dealer was probably right. In 2016, not as much.

I should mention I bought my 2013 in 2015. It was a left over so it was brand new despite the age and I got an excellent deal.

In a few years I expect them to fit a 300 with a next generation suspension design. The reason the suspension models retain the 260 is because the 300 doesn't fit in the tighter confines of the suspension skis.

The earlier suspension models were prone to breaking and had other flaws but most were fixed by 2011 or 2012. I played it safe and got a 2013 model year which is supposed to be all sorted out. Back in 2010 your dealer was probably right. In 2016, not as much.

Maybe that will be a time for me to jump in (or add a good used boat to the mix). :)

The one thing is that suspensions skis are costly to maintain as to do anything else other than change the oil (so any of the basic tightening/inspections normally done WITH oil changes) can't be done without removing the upper deck, so my basic 25 hour service cost me $700.

That's the one downside. But I still think it is worth it. After spending all day on my ski (10-6) I felt fine and my friend was absolutely exhausted and we were just riding on the river (so mild wake) but I was basically riding on a cloud.

The GTX is a VERY comfortable ski as it is. It is basically the Caddy of skis as far as comfort goes. I'd get the non-suspension if it were me. More affordable and MUCH easier to do ANY kind of work on.. The suspension skis are top heavy by comparison.

i have 2015 gti 130 and the lake i go to is fairly choppy and have no issues of soreness. well a little but not enough to talk about. i'm 53 and am sure the reg gtx is even smoother than mine. just saying. i would not want the suspension as it is one more thing to go wrong and to gain access for oil changes and such makes for more work. but it is another story if you have the $$ to burn, then go for it :)

I have a 2009 RXTIS simply because it was a smoking hot deal. I wasn't sure how I would like the suspension feeling on a ski, but so far so good. I know I am not as sore the next day after riding a full ay on the lake/river where I live. I still feel the chop, but to a lesser degree and at the same time it doesn't beat you to death. Control/response is not an issue as I still feel completely in control, but my 57 year old bones thank me for the cushy ride.

The one thing is that suspensions skis are costly to maintain as to do anything else other than change the oil (so any of the basic tightening/inspections normally done WITH oil changes) can't be done without removing the upper deck, so my basic 25 hour service cost me $700.

That's the one downside. But I still think it is worth it. After spending all day on my ski (10-6) I felt fine and my friend was absolutely exhausted and we were just riding on the river (so mild wake) but I was basically riding on a cloud.

That is what my dealer was getting at (repair costs are more because the deck has to come off). I doubt there is much of a difference riding on a river with mild wake and to be honest - I've never spent 8 hours on my Sea Doo at one time - maybe that's why it had 79 hours on it after 6 years of riding. I can't criticize what I don't know and for all I know, one ride on a suspension model and I might be hooked. Next time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back