GTX hesitating to accelerate

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

kasper779

I just purchased a 2004 GTX Wake edition. I took it out for a water test this evening. Started right up, idled a little rough between 1500-2000 RPM, but otherwise got past no wake just fine. When I hit the throttle it took off well. Got up to about 25 and it was bogging down and hesitating to go any faster. Top speed I could get to was 42 and that was after a bit of driving. Once up to 25 with full throttle, it’d stay there and then suddenly take off and get up about 5 more MPH and stay, then do it again, until I got to 42 but it seemed to prefer staying at around 30-35. It felt almost like I was hitting waves but the lake was like glass.

I’m new to PWC so please go easy on me. I checked the spark plugs and one looked like it had oil on it but the others were okay. Previous owner reported no problems from last year but said he didn’t get it out this year. Hmm. Either way it’s mine now, so I just want to fix it. I’ve considered spark plugs, fuel pump, and/or bad gasoline (we added about 5 gallons to fill up the 15 gallon tank before taking it out). Am I on the right track or should I look at something else?

Back